10. THE OTHER WOMAN

Last night was a little blurry in my memory. After the encounter with that random man on road, we had returned to Sean's house and he had "ordered" me to go back to my room and not come downstairs until next morning.

Now it was next morning. After doing my morning routine, I went downstairs for breakfast. Turns out, I was alone in the dining room today as Jason told me the Miller brothers had already left.

"You don't have to cook specifically for me." I told him.

"It's my job." He said as he lay down all the food items on the table.

"Sit down with me then. I don't like eating alone." I said to him.

"But---"

"Relax. I won't tell anybody." I said.

"Fine." He sat down beside me, passing me a brief smile.

I served a fried egg, some sausages and a hash brown on my plate while Jason hesitantly poured himself a glass of orange juice.

"Do you know what happened to that guy?" I asked.

"The one who followed you both last night." He asked.

"Yes." I nodded. "Did they let him go?"

"I don't know but it seems pretty impossible that they would let him go so easily." He said, chugging the juice down.

"Where are they keeping him?" I asked. "I want to talk to him. I deserve to know why he was following me."

"Um... I'm not sure Mr. Miller would be open to that request of yours." Jason said.

"But---"

"Just let them handle these things Penelope. You and me don't know how such affairs work." Jason advised me.

"Hmm." I nodded. "You are right."

After finishing the breakfast, I helped Jason in cleaning the table and then walked over to the library. I searched through the library for a good book and finally settled on a novel by George Orwell.

I read for the most part of the day, except when I went downstairs to grab a sandwich for lunch. At around 6pm, I went back to my bedroom and organized the whole cupboard. I set everything I bought yesterday in the respective drawers and then took a long shower.

For some reason, I wanted to dress up nice today for dinner. I changed into a yellow sundress and let my hair dry naturally in loose waves. Applying some tint to my cheeks and lips, I slipped my feet into a pair of sandals and made my way downstairs.

But my mood instantly soured when I saw the person sitting in the lounge with Sean and Lucas. It was Hailey, Sean's girlfriend or whoever she was.

She was sitting on the sofa with crossed legs, her whole outfit reeking of money. She radiated so much arrogance with the way she held her head stiff. I had always disliked girls like her who thinks the whole world revolved around them.

"She hasn't left yet." She said as soon as she noticed me.

"I wanted to, but Mr. Miller doesn't let me go." I said and the way her eyes widened was almost comical.

"And why is that Sean?" She asked Sean, who happened to be eyeing me up and down. I should have felt annoyed at him for staring at me while sitting beside his girlfriend but I didn't. Instead, his heated gaze made me feel warm.

"You don't need to worry about her. She will be leaving soon." He said after a moment and stood up, ignoring everyone. "Jason! Set the table." He called out.

All four of us walked over to the dining room. Sean Miller took the central seat while Hailey set down on his right. I took the seat on his left and Lucas seated himself beside me.