9. SHOPPING WITH MR. MILLER

Tonight was different than usual, tonight I’ll be going out. I had dressed into the nicest pair of jeans I had, with a white tank top and a denim jacket to save me from cold. One might think I was going out on a coffee date but actually, it was just a trip to the super store. 

I was somewhat scared too, as the last time I left this mansion, someone died. That woman’s face was still fresh in my memories and I even had some nightmares related to her. The more I thought of her, the more I felt guilty so I tried to block those thoughts as much as I could. 

I was about to tie my hair when Jenny informed me that Mr. Miller was waiting for me downstairs. I let my hair open in natural waves and made my way downstairs. It wouldn't be a lie if I say I saw a faint hint of mocking smile on Mr. Miller’s face when he saw me all prepped up and excited.

He motioned me with his eyes to follow him, which I did immediately. He had ditched the driver today so I was alone with him inside his car. The last few times I was in his car, I was too traumatized mentally to appreciate the beauty. But this time, I took my time enjoying the feel of the soft seat below me and the luxurious interior. 

He drove to a nearby superstore which, considering that we lived in the midst of nothing, was about half an hour away. “Come on. Stay by my side. Don’t wander off alone.” He said as he reached my side of the car.

I thought he was joking when I stepped out of the car and he extended his hand. When I realized he was serious, I gulped. “What made you think I would hold your hand?” I asked.

“What made you think I’ll let you walk unguarded?” He rose his eyebrows.

“Paranoid much?” I whispered under my breath but then realized what happened that night. Huffing, I held his hand, lacing our fingers together as he walked forwards. His hands were big and warm, making me feel a little fuzzy inside. He walked into the store, keeping me as close to him as possible. His authoritative personality was enough to make everyone make way for us. 

In no way was I developing Stockholm syndrome but it felt nice to have someone protect you like this, even if my inner feminist was screaming in protest. My ex was the type of guy who would leave you alone in a room full of dangerous men so Sean was quite a change.

“Okay that’s enough. You are making us look weird.” I said and pulled away my hand, making an excuse. 

I roamed around the store and picked out some skincare, haircare and personal hygiene items for myself. Sean was following me everywhere like a tail, even when I was picking out underwear and bras.

“Give me some privacy.” I said to him as I found him towering over me. Without saying anything, he simply shook his head in no.

“Fine.” I rolled my eyes and put everything in my cart. 

“Are you sure that’s the right size?” He stared at my 36D bra and then towards my chest. My eyes popped out and warmth crept up my cheeks. 

“Wh… What is wrong with you?” I said, closing the buttons of my jackets.

“That's a discussion for another day” He said nonchalantly .

“Whatever. This is the right size, not that you need to know.” I said and threw two more pairs in the cart. 

Afterwards, I paid for my things at the cashier, despite Sean’s glare digging holes into the back of my head on not letting him pay. Why in God’s name would I let him pay for my stuff?

We walked out of the store and that’s the exact moment my stomach decided to growl. I stared at Sean embarrassingly who was walking ahead of me this time, ignoring me altogether.