28. GOODBYE?

My stomach groaned loudly while I flipped the omelet. I had stayed awake till sunrise last night which explains why I had trouble waking up. It was 1 when I finally left the bed and made my way to the kitchen. I was craving something salty so I made mushroom omelet. Sean was nowhere to be found but he had left Thomas with me, who was sitting in the lounge, staring at me like a hawk.

“Where is Sean?” I asked him while making my food.

“Gym.” He replied curtly.

“With an injured leg?” I raaised my eyebrows and he shrugged in return.

Shaking my head, I heated up some brioche bread and searched my refrigerator for something to drink. I was pouring orange juice in a glass when someone knocked on the door. Thomas went to check and then let the person in. I was hoping to see Sean but instead, I was greeted with the sight of the younger and less tolerable Miller brother.

“Where’s Sean?” He looked around.

“Why?” I asked sternly.

“I am not answerable to you.” He walked over to me and took the orange juice from in front of me without asking.

“Heyy!!” I shrieked in response but he quickly gulped it down in one sip.

”Too much sugar. Explains your weight.” He said as he put the glass away.

“There is nothing wrong with my weight.” I gritted as I crossed my arms in front of my chest.

“Where is Sean?” He asked again, ignoring my protest at his bodyshaming.

“At the gym.” I replied. “He could have waited until he was better but he is too stubborn for his own good.”

“True. I told him not to go behind you but his stubbornness got in the way.” He snapped back.

“What is your problem with me?” I asked and put my omelet out of his reach before he could snatch it too.

“I don’t like you. Girls like you, they are always trouble.” He replied without caring to elaborate.

“What is that supposed to mean?” I asked.

“Girls who wrap a man around their fingers until they can’t think straight and are willing to take risks that they can’t afford.” He said in a condescending tone.

“Is that your personal experience? Because last I heard, you swung the other way.” I retaliated.

“It is an observation.” He answered. “Sean has been ignoring his duties to the mob because of you.”

“Well, sorry to disappoint you but your brother isn’t wrapped around anything. He doesn’t even like me, which he made quite obvious last night.” I cocked my head to one side and said.

“Yes, that explains why he isn’t leaving your side for months.” His lips thinned into a line.

We were too busy in our heated discussion that we didn’t realize when Sean walked into the apartment. Noticing him, Lucas got quiet while I picked up my plate and went to the dining table to eat. Sean took Lucas to the balcony to discuss their business while I got busy with my breakfast.

Few minutes later, Lucas left the apartment with a sour face while Sean made his way to the bedroom. I was still angry at him last night but I was also curious at what got Lucas all riled up.

“What is his deal?” I asked before he could leave.

“Nothing you should be concerned about. What was he saying to you?” He asked in response.