Chapter fourteen - Hat-trick

Grinning, I drizzled a huge amount of maple syrup on top of the homemade pancakes. The mouth-watering smell made my stomach rumble as I greedily dug in.

I hummed in delight as I chewed the delicious food, closing my eyes as the sun shined through the grand windows. Spring was getting near, and the temperature was slowly increasing, already spoiling us with rays of sun more often. It was amazing. I couldn't wait until it was summer. Even though winter was cozy, summer was just something different. For me, it brightened not only the days but also my mood. I loved it!

But I didn't love it as much as I loved Saturdays.

They were entitled for snacking, relaxing and pure laziness. Do I need to say anymore? Why couldn't it be Saturday every day? Then I'm sure there would be world peace.

"What do you mean you're not coming?"

Batting my eyes open, I peered at my two eldest brothers who stood next to the table, one getting a third cup of coffee, the other one with his arms crossed over his chest. A scowl plastered on his face.

"What I'm saying", Sebastian muttered. "I'm not coming".

"I gathered that". Nate rolled his eyes. "But why? This is an important event. You should come and show your support".

"I doubt my support or not would have any influence on how it'll go". The younger one sat down at the head of the table with a steaming cup in his hand. The black coffee matched the color of his dark styled hair. Sometimes I wondered if his hair always looked that perfect. Glancing down at my untamable locks, I envied him. I wanted pretty hair too. Not a bird's nest.

"That is unacceptable of you Sebastian and you know it", Nathaniel stated, resting against the table. His back faced me, while his torso was directly in front of Sebastian, being the only time Nate was taller than him. The eldest twins were giants. Not only compared to me but also my other brothers. At least a head taller than all of them.

"What do you want me to do, hermano?" Sebastian retorted, lifting his hands in an indifferent manner. "I've got work to do".

(Brother)

"Not today". Nate was starting to get frustrated. I felt bad for him. No one should be upset before noon and absolutely not on a Saturday. "Take the day off or go for just a few hours. Please hermano".

(Brother)

"Nathaniel", Sebastian sighed. "Trust me when I say, you'll have more fun without me". He glanced up at his brother, their eye colors being a big contrast. Warmth versus cold.

"That's not true", my eldest brother dismissed. "We miss hanging out with you. You're never around anymore". His voice lowered. "We've been lucky if we have seen you once every second month for the last five years. Now we have the opportunity to spend time together as a family since we live-"

"What family?" Sebastian cut him off. "From my perspective, I wouldn't call this a family. Our family was destroyed, hermano. Maybe you have forgotten that?" A hard expression morphed on his face, the depths of his irises growing colder and colder as he spoke. It felt like a brisk wind swarmed through the dining room, making goosebumps appear on my skin.

"Of course, I haven't forgotten". I had to strain my ears to hear what Nathaniel replied.

"Then you also know where I stand in this. Me enfermo físicamente pore star aquí". Sebastian spat the last word as if it was the foulest venom he had ever tasted.

(I get physically ill from being here)

"I know", Nate whispered softly. "And I meant it when I said earlier that it means a lot to me that you're here. Despite how awful it is to be back. It's not easy being reminded of what happened in this house". His hand reached out to rub Sebastian's shoulder soothingly. "I'm sorry you have to relive that every time you're here".