I see the world through your eyes

"Okay Christian, thank you" the dutchman sighed as he hung up the phone and leaned back on the couch with a groan.
Charles who just entered with their drinks sat down next to him. "What did he say, how did it go?" Placing the tray on the table as he leaned in close.
"He still gives me time... but they have Alex prepared for if I can't race" he sighed again as he held his hand over his face.
"I'm thankful that Christian and the team are giving me this time... and if anyone then Alex definitely deserves it the most... but what- what if? What if I don't make it on time?" He asked as he was now staring at his boyfriend. Though he couldn't see him fully his soft outlines calmed him.

Charles had a hard time finding his words, he wanted to say everything would be alright, but as the weeks passed , therapy was followed strictly and there was still almost no progress in Max's sight it worried him. His hopes sinking too, but before Max had been so determined... But he tried to not let him show it, he tried to be strong for him, for them both.
"It's good that they give you time... when do they need to know?" Trying to keep his voice steady.
"The end of January" Max said as he looked down at his lap where he had intertwined his fingers with the monegasque.
"So 5-6 weeks?"
"Yes I guess so"
Charles just scooted closer wrapping his arms around Max as a silent comfort.

————-

It was now already Christmas and the days where fast approaching. This year they didn't celebrate with Max's family, at least not in person, Victoria had just given birth to Max's little nephew Luka so she couldn't fly out to Monaco and a car drive that long with a newborn didn't seem like a great idea either.  That she had flown over the world only last month to be with Max in the hospital 9 months pregnant was already to much as it was.
The couple also couldn't leave Monaco with Max's thight therapy schedule, though the doctors said it was okay if he missed a couple of sessions during the holidays, Max was determined to do everything in his power to get better and not regret it later. And everyone around him understood because they were all racers at heart.

They arranged a lunch together via Skype so they could celebrate together, the rest of the Hollidays where spend with Charles's family.
"We can't wait to finally come see him... he- he sounds so cute..." Max told his sister as he heard the little sound the baby made over their Skype call. Realizing that he probably couldn't really see his nephew, not if things stayed like this.
"Wh-what does he look like?" He asked as Charles grabbed his hand under the table.

Victoria looked up with eyes all watery that fortunately the dutchman couldn't see.
"Well it's definitely a Verstappen" she smiled sadly. "He kind of looks like a younger version of you, but with your looks from now not from when you were little"
Max chuckled at that "hey! What is that supposed to mean?"
"It's a compliment, you look better now" she laughed with him. "Dating that hot boyfriend of yours did well for you, clear skin, longer hair and everything" she waved her hands in the air to make a point as Max snorted and Charles's cheeks flushed pink. He loved the banter Max had with his sister , but he got the feeling that he was more then once the subject for it.

"Your just jealous" Max stook out his tongue.
"Obviously I am" she smiled.
"Oh so you finally admit it? Has the day come?" He teased her.
"Am I missing something here?" Charles asked through the banter what earned him a laugh from Max and his whole family on the other side of the Skype call. When Jos turned the camera to himself "let's just say, back in the day I did expect to my kid maybe end up dating you- if you would be mutually interested I mean, but I didn't expect it to be Max" he laughed as the camera now focused on Sophie. "Let's just say someone had a teeny tiny crush on that hot French guy with dark long hair from the karting track" she laughed air quoting the last part.
"Okay mom , dad ,thank you for embarrassing me, can we go back to normal conversation now?" Though she had to laugh too. It was no point in denying it, she used to have a crush on her brothers boyfriend too. And could really anybody blame her for it?