A wish (and a kiss) at midnight

"Are you sure? We don't have to if you don't feel up for it" the monegasque asked him as they were actually putting on their coats to go on their way.
"No I want too, I think it will do me good to be out of the house a little" he asked as he tried to do up the zipper of his coat by touch.
"Don't you think it's to much? Noises and light?" He asked as he went to pick up his beanie and scarf from the coatrack behind the dutchman as he looked at him still fumbling, still trying to zip up his coat. "Come here let me help" the monegasque said as he crouched down placing his hands over the Dutchman's to zip it up.
"Charles" he sighed
"What is it babe?" The monegasque replied
"I wan't to go" he said firmly.
"Okay , I'm just trying to look out for you" he said as he zipped up the Dutchman's coat, standing up again. "There you go" he smiled slightly. "Thanks" Max mumbled back.

Charles placed his arms around his boyfriends neck. "What is it?" He asked concerned as he immediately noticed the change in his boyfriend's demeanour.
"Nothing" Max tried to dismiss him with a wave of his hand.
"Max?" He tried again cocking his eyebrow at the dutchman as he sounded pointedly.
"Uuuuugh okay... why are you always so persistent?" The dutchman asked as he rolled his eyes.
A playful smile no tucked at Charles's lips. "You are not that hard to convince you know?"
Max rolled his eyes again but couldn't help the small smile forming on his face now.
"So tell me what's wrong" the monegasque asked again.
"I just feel— I'm annoyed that I can't even zip up my own coat and that you have to do that for me— also— I feel like I'm in a glass case sometimes. I just- I want to go back to the old times, feel normal again? You know?" He sighed.

Charles brows furrowed as he hugged Max "oh Cherie" to eventually pull back. "Are you- you don't- you don't think I'm hovering to much right?" A slight tremble in his voice.
Max guided his hands towards the monegasque's cheeks. "No liefje! I appreciate it so much how you take care of me! It- it's just - sometimes I feel like I'm holding you back..."
"Oh Maxy, you would never, and I don't mind it, I wanna be that person for you! Don't doubt that Cherie!" Grabbing the dutchman closer to him by his coat.
"I'll be there for you always"
Max looked up now. "Promise?"
Charles smiled before pecking his lips "promise!" And like that they went out the door.

—————

They had been sitting in the lounge that was created in the room, nursing their drinks just talking, laughing, once in a while joined by one of their friends.
"Common Charles show them that dance move from that vacation mate!" Joris had laughs loudly as he tried to convince his friend to get on the dance floor with him, reliving old times.
Charles laughed before waving him away! "No mate! I'm quite comfortable down here! " smiling at his friend as he took another chug from his drink.

"You know you can join them right?" Max spoke to him after Joris left, what made the monegasque look towards the dutchman.
He leaned forward grabbing his hand slightly squeezing it. "I know Maxy but I'm good right here with you" he said fondly.
"You know I can sit alone for 10 minutes right?" The dutchman joked.
"I know but I-" he said before his ears perked up at the next song that came over the speakers, his favourite. Max couldn't keep in his laugh.
"Charles go! I'll be right here when you get back" he smiled "I just go to the bathroom real quick and get us another drink"
"Are you sure?" The monegasque asked still a bit uncertain.
"Yes go!" Max just smiled more at him and with that Charles was on the dance floor with his friends.

Max had made it towards the bathroom without to much effort, only bumping in to a doorpost once, given the space was not that familiar as their own home he was proud.
As he retrieved two drinks from the kitchen, one for himself and one for Charles he tried to walk slowly and steadily towards the room again. A smile creeping on his face as he heard the loud laughter of his boyfriend above the music. Charles really deserves to let loose a little for all he has done for him in the past month. He thinks to himself.