4|Refreshing

𝟜|𝕖𝕗𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘

I pull Mason with me into the kitchen to grab a drink, weaving us in and out of the crowds of people. I don't recognize most of the faces here, but I'm assuming kids from other schools were invited as well. There are almost ten coolers sprawled out on the tiled floor, so I flip one open and glance up at him. "What do you want?"

He eyes all of the cans with different logos on ice with skepticism. Oh my god. He's never gotten drunk before. "Here," I say and push a Bud Light lime into his chest. "Just start with this."

I crack open my white claw and take a long sip, peering outside the floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the pool in the hopes of spotting Zane. Girls in bikinis are splashing each other in the heated pool, a DJ playing music directly in front of it with drunk people already nodding to the beat as they recline in lounge chairs.

"Mason West?" Abigail Kenny, a girl on the volleyball team fakes a drunk gasp as she stumbles over to him. "What the hell are you doing here?" She places a hand on his arm, my eyes narrowing at the gesture.

I'm trying to tell myself this isn't jealousy that I'm feeling, but I know myself better than that. I don't understand why I'm jealous, though. We just started talking today. I find Mason attractive, yes, and it perplexes me. He's the complete opposite of the types of guys I normally hook up with, so why do I want to tackle Abby to the ground? Am I seriously considering making a move on Mason tonight?

God, I hate that I'm such a flirt sometimes. I don't ever feel fully satisfied. Zane has that bad-boy aspect I crave, and yet Mason... Mason is like a golden retriever. He's friendly and energetic and just all-around good inside and out. He's a good boy I want to turn bad.

Get a grip, Izzy!

"Hey, nice to see you, Abby." He smiles and takes a sip of beer. "I decided to try something new tonight."

She giggles, and the sound makes my lip curl. "Well, I'm glad you came! Ugh, let your hair free, Mace. You can't hide all of that gorgeous hair with a hat." She rips the hat off for him and runs her fingers through it to mess it up. "Much better," she tells him.

He clears his throat awkwardly as he takes his hat from her. "Er... Thanks."

My blood is boiling hot. I'm so possessive over boys who aren't even mine. It's the most toxic trait I have. I'm a flirt, and I don't consider that a skill or a positive trait. It bites me in the ass nine times out of ten. Thus the reason I've never had a boyfriend and never will. It's hard to stay committed to one person.

And that's why when Zane comes up to wrap his arms around my waist, I still feel like I want to rip Abby's hair out.

"I thought I told you to wear the skirt?" He teases, raking his hands up my sides.

I spin around to face him and hook my arms around his neck. "You don't like what I'm wearing?"

He eyes my tits heavily, a smirk growing on his face. "Oh, I love what you're wearing, babe. Easier access."

Mason clears his throat, interrupting our moment, and Zane gives him an annoyed glare. When he realizes it's him though, his mouth drops open in shock. "Mason West?" He asks. "What the hell are you doing here, man?"

"Well, your...Er...Izzy convinced me to come, actually."

Zane beams at me. "Your persuasion always impresses me," he says, turning his attention back on Mason. "Well, we need to celebrate this!" He grabs a bottle of vodka off the counter and three plastic shot glasses. Someone calls him from outside though, his head whipping to the sliding glass doors.