37 - Saturday, March 27

There was something inexplicably beautiful about today. Each breath I took in was delightful, the air alive. Trees lining the streets looked more vibrant. Above, the sky stretched endlessly, cloudless and perfect. And with each step, the earth seemed to nudge my heels, lending a bounce to my stride. Everything felt so in tune with my own emotions.

A blissful smile was already painting my lips as I entered Alex's apartment. There she was, right before me, sitting at the kitchen island and humming to a tune from her headphones. So absorbed in her sewing machine, so oblivious to the world around her that she hadn't even noticed my arrival. Her hair was done, and her makeup was on. Beautiful as always.

I quietly put my belongings onto the dresser, hoping to give her a playful startle. But she must have sensed my presence, for she turned around before I could, and her face lit up with a beautiful smile that was as radiant as the sunrise itself.

"Hi," she chirped, that sweet sound like music to my ears. "What are you doing here so early?"

"Sophia's folks came home, so I thought I'd drop by," I said, hands concealed behind me. "And you?"

"Been out and about, running some errands. Now I'm trying to make a costume for Benji's school play," she explained before turning to me with a questioning expression. "Are you just going to stand there?"

"Maybe," I said coyly.

"What are you hiding?"

As soon as I revealed what it was, her smile turned bashful. It was impossible for me to look away, and all at once, a grin crept onto my face. Her gaze was like a magnet, drawing me in and refusing to let go.

"For me?"

"Who else?" I chuckled, walking up. "I thought you deserved these. They're potted, so you don't have to watch them die. I hope that's okay."

Alex didn't even take them. Instead, she got down from the chair and continued staring at me. As if not knowing what to do. "No one has ever given me flowers before," she eventually murmured.

"You're kidding?" My voice pitched with disbelief, met by a simple head shake from her. "Some people really are idiots."

Her fingertips grazed mine as she reached for the blossoms. "Thank you, Kay. They're beautiful."

With lips curved into a content smile, she sauntered over to her shelves and placed them next to her other plants, next to the one she had given me as an apology half a year ago. Taking a step back, she paused to appreciate the arrangement. But eventually, with a quiet sigh, moved them to the coffee table. As if carefully selecting the ideal place.

"Perfect," she exhaled, drawing me close with an arm encircling my waist. "I appreciate the thought. The pot, I mean."

I cocked an eyebrow. "Does that look like pot to you, Alex?"

"Smart ass."

"I just don't want to watch you cry. I still haven't forgotten how you wept when your ivy died. I'll hold that over your head for a long time."

"I was on my period, so that doesn't count. You know how I get."

"Horny and sad?" I blurted out, only to be met with a menacing stare and a swat to the back of my head. "Ah, come on, no need to throw hands!" I laughed. "I'll take it back. You're always horny."

"I'll bite you," she threatened, "and then we'll see how quickly the tables turn."

Her arms snaked around me as she showered my face and neck with kisses. My cheeks were already aching from her presence. I still had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't dreaming, because that emotion went out of my dreams. That emotion was real.