10.

Everything came with a price

Everything came with a price. As Aditya sat next to the lawyer who seemed to blabber about the consequences of divorce, he was too immersed in listening to the faint sobs of his wife who sat next to him. He always hated when she cried. It made him feel like he failed as a man in keeping her happy.

"As both of you know, Mr.Kapoor managed all the businesses of the Advani group since Mr.Advani's passing. With this separation, the business contract will also end and Mr.Kapoor will no longer have any right to that. As per Mr.Advani's will, all of his property belongs to his daughter and her husband-"

"I need to talk to Aditya." Shradha interrupted finally gathering the courage to speak up. The old man in the grey suit looked up from the documents he was reading out, and passed a look at Aditya, who gave him a faint nod. The man excused himself from the study, carefully striding out and closing the door, leaving the couple alone.

"Speak." Said Aditya not meeting her eyes.

"Is this what it is going to be? Divorcing and going our separate ways?" She choked out the words trying not to cry more. She had been tearing up since the morning, never really knowing why this was making her so sad.

The thought of losing him scared her. She realised that he meant more to her than she thought.

"You hid something so important from me and you can't seem to give me an heir. This is what is right." He dug his hands into his pant pocket while he said that while Shradha inches a step closer to him.

"It was something you never wanted. You were the one who told me to be on birth control. What was I supposed to make out of that?" This time she raised her voice.

"So you killed our child because you thought I didn't want it?" He let out a laugh, mocking her, before he continued, "Who are we kidding Shradha? Just say that you never wanted to birth a child of mine. I have accepted that bitter truth."

Something inside her snapped. She raged, "Yes I didn't want a child from you because you know what? Because everyday I see what is happening in that house. How your cousin's children are suffering! And I fucking didn't want a child who would suffer that way, with no love from their parents."

She wasn't prepared for the hand that wrapped around her throat or the way he pulled up so she was forced to her tiptoes. Her heart careened into her throat as she gripped his massive wrist with both hands. "Watch how you speak to me, because I don't care how pretty this mouth is. I won't hesitate to shut it silent forever."

For the first time since the day they met, she saw the monster in his eyes coming alive. The darkened gleam shone through his pupils, as his demons fought their way out. To say that she wasn't scared would be an understatement. His threat and hold on her throat tightened.

The threat combined with his hot breath gusting over the shell of her ear made her shiver. His beard scraped against her cheek as he pulled back. His proximity, the firm hold on her throat, and the resolve in his expression scrambled her thoughts. She was no match for him, and the satisfied gleam in his eyes told her he knew it. As she tried to think of a way out of this, her eyes dropped from his and landed on the scar on his upper lip. The beard covered another scar on his jaw, but she could see the tail end of it on his neck.