Ch 6 || At the Lake

It was a thirty-minute walk from the parking lot and by the time we arrived, the party was in full swing. The guys set out to greet what felt like everyone while I checked out the less-crowded beach area. They had set up a bonfire and the dancing flames reflected in the lake's calm surface. Laughter and the clinking of bottles filled the air. People were lounging in chairs, or standing in groups. Electro beats mixed with country music, depending on the direction as students carried portable speakers around.

As if my eyes had a will of their own, I easily picked out a certain, annoyingly broad set of shoulders from the crowd. Killian stood among a group of people, his back to me. His posture was relaxed as he talked and I noticed how the other girls smiled up at him.

So, he was only an ass to me, huh?

I ruffled my hair, turned, and went to search for Chris. I found him next to the large open cabin that had several tables and benches set up. Chris, Drew, Jared, Ben, Jessica, and Rose were standing in a loose circle. My steps faltered when I saw the beer pong table between them but it was too late.

Ben spread his arms as he caught sight of me. "She's here! Let's go, we're playing."

I forced a smile. "Alright."

I knew it was a bad idea to drink on medication but I didn't have the energy to argue. Besides, with the way this evening was going, I definitely needed it.

With every cup I chugged down, the guys erupted in cheers. Fuck it. Fuck Killian and my stupid skin. Future Taylor could deal with it.

Only two rounds later, I had to brace myself against the table. The cup in my hand doubled and I blinked rapidly until my vision returned to normal. What the hell? I hadn't had that much to drink. My aim was pretty good.

I squinted at the others. Chris was in the middle of another game with Drew, Jessica, and Ben. Jared stood a bit to the side but his eyes were fixed on me. Surprised, I drew back and quickly looked away. Some guys moved in front of me, blocking his view, and I quickly dipped behind their backs and disappeared into the crowd. I'd ended up leaving my bottle in the car but there had to be some water somewhere.

Or not. Unless one counted the lake. Wherever I looked the only thing I found were boxes of beer and other alcohol.

I took a deep breath. The fresh, cool night air filled my lungs and the drunken haze clouding my mind lifted a little. I started down a path leading away from the party. By the time my head had somewhat cleared, the sound of music and laughter had grown distant.

The moonlight glittered off the small waves that softly bounced against the shoreline. The trees rustled and surrounded me with the scent of pines and wood. The tranquility of this place was soothing—until I stumbled over an uneven patch of earth, barely catching myself from landing flat on the ground.

"Easy there."

I yelped as a hand landed on my arm. I whirled around and came face to face with Jared. The trail behind him was empty. I moved to step around him, but he blocked me.

"Wait, Tay."

"What?" I didn't bother hiding the impatience in my voice.

"I've been wanting to talk to you." He ruffled his hair.

"Don't you have other people to talk to...?"

His hand dropped. "You've really been trying to dodge me, huh?"

I lifted my shoulders. "I mean..."

"I'm sorry for the other day," he said in a quiet voice. "I didn't really get my point across I think."