CH 45 || Sleep On The Couch

A/N: Contains mild sexual content 

The party pulsed with energy as Killian and I pushed through the crowded room, me half a step behind. His towering frame easily carved a path through the crowd and all I had to do was follow in his wake. Every second step, he flicked a glance over his shoulder, making sure I was behind him. I reached out and grasped the back of his hoodie.

With my hair down, partially obscuring my face, I hadn't bothered changing out of my comfy yoga pants and Killian's oversized sweatshirt. It was as if I had shed all pretenses and embraced ultimate comfort. I'd never felt more comfortable.

We headed for a room towards the back of the house. Cody, Drew, a few guys with familiar faces that I couldn't put a name on, and a new guy with a mob of golden-brown hair lounged around two couches, chatting animatedly.

They grinned at us and then Killian introduced me to the stranger. So, this was Max.

Max turned to me as I sank onto the couch, flashing me a bright grin, dimple and all.

I offered him a guarded smile in return. Five minutes, Killian had said. I could do five minutes.

"So, Tay," Max began. "What do you do?"

"I study physics," I replied. "And you?"

"Physics, huh? That sounds kind of cool. I actually got a scholarship last year and transferred to the University of Alabama."

"Max, you want a beer?" one of the guys asked.

Settling into the seat beside me, Killian's hand glided down my spine, easing some of the tension between my shoulders. It was so fast and natural, I bet nobody even noticed anything. Well, nobody aside from Max.

There was a knowing glint in his eyes as he replied, "No, thanks. I'm not drinking."

The guy began distributing the bottles to the others. I shook my head when he offered me one and he moved on without batting an eye. Huh.

Killian handed me a bottle of water. His fingers lingered against my skin as I took it from him. For a moment our gazes locked, and the rest of the tension melted out of me. Maybe this wasn't so bad after all.

And it wasn't. Two hours passed in a flash. Killian stuck to my side and although I didn't want to admit it, it felt good. Maybe it was his presence or maybe the people were nicer, but nobody asked me any uncomfortable questions. Not even Drew.

Max kept including me in the conversation, sharing details about his sports program—he played football—and we chatted about video games for a good twenty minutes. Killian shifted, his long legs brushing against mine as I recounted in explicit detail how many times I had defeated him in Halo the other night. Something Max found extremely hilarious since was apparently their best player.

Suddenly, the door swung open, revealing Jared and a few other members of the team. Right behind them was Chris. They were the first ones who didn't appear as happy. What had Jared said? He hadn't always gotten the attention...

"Killian?" I whispered. He tipped his chin down, leaning closer. "What position did Max play?"

A playful sparkle danced in his hazel eyes. "Why don't you take a guess?"

"Um... Quarterback?" Basically, the only position I knew.

His lips curled as he looked up, fixing his gaze on the new intruders. "Exactly."

Jared stood stiffly to the side, his typical cocky attitude nowhere to be found. I must have concealed myself quite well behind Killian's frame, as Jared did a double take before calling out, "Tay?"