01: Dear Diary...?

Chairs screeched as they were pulled back by the children in the classroom. The sound of happiness erupted the moment the teacher dismissed the class.

"Don't forget to show your parents the field trip paper!"

"We won't, Miss Wheeler!" the children replied uniformly while they packed their things, ready to leave the school with friends.

Miss Wheeler smiled at them before turning her head towards the quiet little girl still sitting in her seat.

"Eislyn, is everything alright?"

Eislyn raised her head from her desk to look at the teacher. Miss Wheeler was a beautiful young woman and was always the most patient teacher in the school. Everyone at school loved her—but she knew it was just a facade.

She could still remember when she overheard Miss Wheeler talking on the phone with someone in an annoyed tone.

"Jeez, the damn brats were at it again. What do you mean? They were fighting because one took the other's eraser without asking first. Just because of a goddamn eraser, they had to create trouble. At least do it in another teacher's class instead! Those little shits!"

Realising that she might have been too loud, she lowered her voice and quickly changed the topic. She looked disgusted back then, but now it was as though she couldn't show such an expression.

Eislyn had once truly liked this teacher of hers, just like the rest of the students, but Miss Wheeler had to end up being a bad teacher. It was one thing to say bad things about the children, but to her as well? That—she personally couldn't let it slide.

Eislyn shook her head and smiled. "Everything's just dandy, Miss Wheeler."

"That's great. Your friends are waiting for you; you should go now. Be careful, and don't run in the hallways."

"Yes, Miss Wheeler. Goodbye!" Eislyn waved her hand before leaving without glancing back.

She only slowed her pace when she caught up to her friends who had been waiting for her.

"You know, I listened to you and started writing my very own diary," someone said.

Diary. Eislyn remembered one of the girls mentioning it a couple of times before. No one wanted to do the same thing because they didn't think reading and writing were fun. They would rather go out and play.

"Wow. Really? Didn't you say it sounded boring? How is it?"

"It is really fun! I did think it would be boring, but you were right!"

The other girl chuckled and proudly said, "I told you so. The others should try it, too. It's amazing. You can write down anything you want about your own life, but you can't show it to anyone because it's a secret."

About my own life? Eislyn's eyes brightened at those words as a spark of interest formed within her.

"Okay! I'll try too, then!"

"Me too!"

"What about you, Eislyn?"

Eislyn snapped out of her thoughts and replied, "Hm... It does seem fun."

"Right, right?"

They chattered until they had to separate and bid goodbye to each other as their parents picked them up.

As for Eislyn, no one came for her. Her parents were at work, so they couldn't, but she didn't mind because they were working to earn money to have a comfortable life. Besides, her home was close to the school, so it wasn't a big deal.