10: New Friends or New Pets?

It was still morning, the sunlight was intense, brightening the environment, and a flock of birds flew westward. The humid air and the sun's rays made Eislyn sweat and her throat dry. It was such a hot day; she felt her body melt. She needed to take cover in the shade and get some hydration. However, the man in front of her didn't plan to stop any time soon.

Eislyn knew that she would faint from heat stroke if she kept on. Ultimately, she forced them to take a break; strangely, Sir Romero didn't object at all. There weren't any villages nearby, so they stopped in the middle of nowhere. She sat under a tree where her body could be covered in the shade. The leaves and branches blocked the sun, so she felt less hot.

"Are you okay?" Sir Romero looked at her before he patted the horse.

"No, I'm so thirsty." Eislyn groaned frustratedly. "You're a mage, right? Can't you use your magic to give me some water?"

What she wanted right now was water; cold, fresh water to cool her down.

"I don't know any water magic. If you are what you said, you should already know that."

This man was still so persistent about this guardian angel. Give her a break.

"Of course, I know. I'm just speaking senselessly."

She didn't know what kind of mage he was since she hadn't seen his magic abilities. Back then, the smoke bomb that the black-clothed men used was dissipated by magic; she wasn't sure if it was his work or someone else's. Other than that time, she didn't witness more magic. When the man came back clean, she had thought he had used water magic but thinking again, he could've used a cleansing spell.

"Then do you have other means to get water?"

"I do."

"Really?!"

She knew it! It would've been weirder if that man didn't have something essential like water while travelling. She could finally relieve her dry throat and suffer less from this darned weather—

"Look for a river."

—What did she even expect from this man?

"Useless..."

"What did you say?"

"A river makes sense. I'll go look for one."

They were in a forest, so there should be a water source somewhere; they just had to find one. Sir Romero didn't object, but he also warned her not to stray too far away since it was easy to get lost and he wouldn't be accounted for if anything happened to her.

"How about you follow along, and we will look together? " She wouldn't need to worry about her safety if he was with her because right now, she was as good as a piece of paper.

"I'm not the one who needs water," he refuted.

"You should hydrate yourself too! It's not good to be so stubborn."

"Go already."

Eislyn dramatised in her head; he was such a cold man who lacked courtesy, willing to leave a harmless girl alone in a foreign place and didn't even bat an eye to it.

"Come back when you're done with your business. I will leave you if you aren't here after two hours."

She didn't fuss about it and left before enthusiastically waving her hand. "Don't miss me for too long. I'll be back before you know it!"

Once her figure was no longer seen, the man raised his hand and stretched out his index finger. It was as if it was a sign when a little bird landed on his finger that had been waiting for his order. There was a small case tied on one of its legs. Inside contained a green gemstone the size of a pebble.