09: My Mess, Your Responsibility

The uncle behind the reception was fortunate not to be targeted, and the gold coin was safe with him. There were originally five hoodlums, but since four of them were killed by Sir Romero, there was only one left. Who knew what happened to the last person because he wasn't found at the inn. But Eislyn guessed that he had turned tail and disappeared, discarding his brothers to save his own life. At that, she spat at him and ridiculed his flimsy loyalty.

He didn't deserve the brotherhood!

The one with the morningstar who wanted to avenge his dead brothers and fought to his death, along with another, was an excellent example of what brotherhood should be. A pity they fell short and were no match for their opponent.

Sir Romero caught her in a bad mood and silently questioned her sanity. First, she was excited, and now, she was unhappy. There was no longer any danger, the place was safe, and they came out unscathed, so he didn't understand why she would act like that.

He went to the middle-aged man sitting on a chair, calming himself down from the recent uproar. The innkeeper looked at the person who approached him and became uneasy. Blood was on this young man; the innkeeper recalled the scene where he came upstairs to check out the commotion and witnessed the young man killing people.

Despite being explained the situation by the young girl, he couldn't ignore the fear within him. This was only a small village where violence might not be uncommon, but he rarely saw people being killed with his own eyes and with such ruthlessness to boot. He was lucky he didn't throw up at the sight of it.

Sir Romero wasn't bothered by the middle-aged man and proceeded to relay his message.

"We will get new rooms. As for the rest, you handle it. This should be enough."

He placed something on the table, and now the other party was one gold richer. After that, he went ahead and took two keys behind the reception and left one of them to the person who eyed him weirdly. Not wanting to care about what the other was thinking in her tiny head, he walked past her and disappeared to his new room.

Eislyn clenched the wooden tag with the number '4' on it in her hand with a strange feeling.

Just like she had thought, the man was deliberately doing it. If not, how would she explain the numbers? Both were related to death and were inauspicious in many ways.

Not only did he like to hand over his mess to someone else, but he also liked for her to die.

Should she disown him for being ill-behaved?

Eislyn was contemplating hard as if he was her actual child and she was the parent with troubled feelings.

While her thoughts occupied her, she walked to her new unlucky room and left the innkeeper hanging. Just like that, without proper exchange, the two guests had gone to their respective rooms, and he was unsure how to react.

"Uhm...I should hire some cleaners, I suppose."

Never in his wildest dreams did he imagine he would receive gold—two coins at that. And in one night! His hand that held the gold suddenly felt like burning. He'd best hide the coins before anyone else put their eye on them. After a moment, he looked at the staircase with worry.

Truthfully, those men were part of a local crew full of bandits. There would be bandits coming over to his inn to cause trouble once they found out what had happened. This inn was a regular place for them to go to, and ever since they first came, there was no day where he had received normal guests. It was all due to their vile acts; they had done nothing but trouble all the villagers. They would rob most outsiders who came to the village, whether for business or casual. Money, food, and women—they would forcibly take everything. Thanks to that, the village had fared poorly for the past months.