Chapter 5: How Could She?

It's been a month since Kuroka and I had the talk about my true identity. I've been narrowly avoiding her every since.

It's just awkward to keep up with her now knowing she sees me as a non-human. This really sabotaged my plan of living an honest human life.

On the bright side though, Issei and I have been training everyday after school for at least 2 hours. I feel my limits being pushed higher with each session.

As I continued to train with Issei, I felt my body becoming stronger and more agile. My powers were becoming more refined, and I was able to control them with greater precision.

But even as I pushed myself harder, I couldn't shake off the feeling of dread that came with the thought of facing the White Dragon Emperor in battle. I knew that I had to be prepared, mentally and physically, to face him and protect those I cared about.

One day, while Issei and I were sparring, I noticed a familiar figure watching us from the sidelines. It was Koneko, who resembles Kuroka a bit to me.

I felt a pang of guilt as I remembered how I had been avoiding Kuroka ever since our conversation. But before I could dwell on it any longer, Koneko approached us.

"Can I join you guys?" she asked, her expression serious.

Issei and I exchanged a glance before nodding in agreement. Koneko was a formidable fighter, and we welcomed the challenge of sparring with her.

As we fought, I couldn't help but notice how focused Koneko was. She moved with grace and precision, her attacks calculated and deadly. It was clear that she had been training just as hard as we had, if not harder.

After the sparring session was over, Koneko approached me, her eyes serious.

"Kazuki," she said. "I think there's something you need to know. Issei told me about your new girlfriend," she started to say, her voice laced with concern.

"Girlfriend? If you mean Kuroka then I'd highly recommend you don't call her that. After all we don't talk anymore and she's just a human after all." I responded and her expression changed from concern to anger.

"Just a human?" She repeated, clenching her small fists.

Behind her, I could see Kuroka approaching us. She glanced down at Koneko and hesitated but continued walking despite that.

Now I was becoming confused. Had something happened between these two?

Koneko's expression turned serious as she looked at me, her eyes filled with determination.

"Kazuki, Kuroka isn't just a human," she said. "She's a Nekoshou, just like me."

I felt a wave of anger wash over me as I realized that Kuroka had been lying to me all along. I had trusted her, and she had betrayed that trust.

"What? How could you keep this from me?" I said, my voice rising in anger. "I trusted you, Kuroka. And you just lied to me like it was nothing."

Kuroka looked at me, her eyes filled with regret.

"I'm sorry, Kazuki. I didn't mean to lie to you. I just didn't want to burden you with my true identity," she said.

But her words did little to quell my anger. I felt like a fool for trusting her, for thinking that she was just a normal human.

"You should have told me, Kuroka," I said, my voice filled with bitterness. "I can't believe you would keep something like this from me."

Koneko stepped forward, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Kazuki, she's a liar. She's killed before and she's a selfish bitch."