Mark |12|

"Things seem tense between you two," Kiki comments as I watch Poppy walk across a children's book page as she reads it

I lean against the boat-shaped counter and shrug.

He leans against the count from the other side, almost meeting me face to face. My heart instantly races, and I can't seem to pull away. Ever since Valentine's Day, Kiki's been like a magnet for me.

If I didn't know better, I would say I've been shot with one of my own arrows.

"My family and I fight all the time," he adds on.

I have to admit, I'm a bit confused by his admission, and it must show on my face. Kiki chuckles and slowly hooks his finger with mine. "I'm just saying families fight, but it doesn't mean they don't care about each other."

I laugh and shake my head. My family is a testament to not getting along, but I'm not sure love is on the menu. Disappointment? Absolutely.

"You realize Poppy is more like an employee than a family member, right?"

Kiki's face scrunches. "Is she, though?."

I roll my eyes before checking on my girl. The little pixie struggles to turn a heavy page but gets it flopped over and goes back to reading as she wipes the sweat from her brow.

Maybe I should get her some books to read too.

"See," he whispers as he leans in closer. I watch his hand lace into mine. A cord tightens in my core, bringing back memories of last night and the sheer heavenly bliss it brought. "She brings a smile to your face the moment you look at her."

I swallow hard, trying to push down the building desires in my gut. "Tell me more about you and your family."

Kiki's thumb runs across the back of my hand, sending tingles up my arm as he thinks to himself. "I'm not sure there's much to tell. My parents have lived here since they were kids. They've been married for about thirty-five years." He shifts on his elbows so that he can play with loose strands of my strawberry-blonde hair. "I have a younger brother. He's married and has a son." There's a glint in his eye when he mentions his nephew.

"My parents see my brother as the golden child. He's a boat enough and married. I dropped out of architecture school to buy a bookstore and am pushing thirty with no hope of getting married anytime soon."

I'm in shock. Kiki doesn't seem the type that could disappoint anyone, much less his parents. Mine would provide trade me for him in a heartbeat.

"You seem to have a fairly successful store though. So they must be proud now."

Kiki shrugs before nervously licking his lips. His gaze drops to our intertwined hands.

"What made you decide on a bookstore?"

Kiki's attention wanders around the store, hopping from shelf to shelf. "I think it was the fact that while I was at school I felt more at home and comfortable in the school library than I did in the dorm. I realized that's how I wanted to spend my life. Surrounded by books."