63.

Here we are, once again.

It's either going to be truly sad or a bust.

Just in case... TW: no-joke hospital stuff.

Definitely one of the more harder chapters to write thus far.

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn

Leah pulled into the roundabout at the entrance of the hospital doors. The words 'Emergency Room' were nailed on the outside wall of the hospital, big and bold. It was hard to miss the sign posted in bright, neon red coloring.

Austin didn't wait for the car to come to a full complete stop before he had the passenger car door flung open, his long legs marching him straight to the automatic doors. He'd give his thanks to Leah another time. Traffic had been an absolute nightmare and he couldn't spend another second not seeing what was happening with his own eyes.

He was craving for any sense of control he could find. Because this whole thing was much like an out-of-body experience.

Almost like a dream.

But it didn't fool him. Austin knew it was real life.

Repeating.

Itself.

Again.

The doors slid open, his feet guiding him through the entrance without a second thought as the man was functioning in survival mode. He couldn't remember walking through the metal detectors or catching the looks of pity on the two security guards' faces as they recognized the walk.

The walk.

Parents bracing themselves for the worst possible outcome, already pleading with God to let them take their child's place. Fighting against every nerve in their body that's warning them they may not walk out with their child, because they were not going to just accept that outcome.

Somehow Austin ended up standing in the line at the reception desk.

A young woman in her early college-years was working at the computer signing in patients, guardians, and visitors; another security guard was posted beside the desk as a safety measure. The guard's eyes swiveled around the waiting room, ready at a moment's notice at the first sign of trouble.

Because nowhere was safe.

School... playgrounds... and now children's hospitals?

Austin crossed his arms then uncrossed them then crossed them once more, anxious as he waited his turn in line. He glanced at his phone in his hand, clicking the side button to light up the home screen.

No new messages.

His fingers curled tight around the cell phone as he pinched his eyes shut, barely holding onto any remaining bits of his composure right now.

He was desperate, willing for any sort of message from Baker or Lindsey. An update. A downdate. Anything. Just give him something for Christ's sake.