50. Return

It was nineteen days from the time they left that Zen and Paulo returned. Once they did, Nana tackled Zen. She put some power behind it to make sure he felt it.

Zen felt it alright. His urge to sigh at his mate's reckless charge was curbed. His tired eyes shone and lips raised into a smile. "Congratulations," he said.

He was not surprised that she had a power mark now. He felt the twinge of power by focusing on his bond with Nana and knew she gained it. He would ask about the tense situation she had experienced later.

"Thanks," Nana said as she rubbed her nose. "How are you both doing?" Nana looked Zen over from head to toe, but found nothing immediately concerning.

"Fair. No injuries and we got what was needed," Zen reported.

Nana took one look at his eyebags and understood. Well, maybe not totally. He was definitely tired, but he could also be suffering from instability still. Nana turned to Paulo who descended gracefully. He did not shift, but Nana could not smell any open wounds on him.

"Where is everything?" Amil asked once the two males had their health confirmed.

Nana blinked and seconded Amil's question. Zen sighed and appeared apologetic. "Coming. Other beasts had followed and offered assistance." Zen felt completely drained.

"Oh..." Nana waited, but Zen did not immediately start explaining. That was fine, they could talk about it later. She was just glad he was back and unharmed.

Nana had Zen settle down and take a good rest before checking on Paulo. He shifted for her and stood with his front facing away from her. It was a considerate gesture that she did appreciate, but the front wasn't the only side she felt embarrassed to look at. Having had some good practice in her life, Nana managed to focus on Paulo's face.

"Did everything go okay?" Nana would have asked Zen for the details if he wasn't passed out. This was also her way of starting some small talk. She really wanted to thank him for what he did, but she didn't know how to at the moment.

Of course she knew how... But that way wasn't what she was thinking. She wanted to convey her gratitude, but she wasn't offering herself like a reward.

Paulo felt his shoulders relax and a small smile pull at his lips. He already felt soothed hearing her voice. "Yes. We did not encounter trouble."

He was back and he succeeded with his task. He did not have to do much on his part. He only alerted Zen of beasts in their path and hazardous conditions caused by nature, but that was something natural to him. Being a flyer garnered him a position as a scout and that was what he had done since he was a fledgling.

"Oh, good. Would you like to eat?" Nana didn't have a lot prepared, but she could definitely share some snacks.

"I have eaten, thank you," Paulo said politely.

Amil felt that the male was holding back. If it was him in that position, he would've taken the offer. But maybe it was a good thing he didn't. They weren't running out of food or anything, but Amil liked having more for Nana.

Nana would have assumed he was being genuine, but as she had gotten to know Paulo and Mundo, Nana felt that wasn't quite it. The males from the City of Rain were very polite towards females. Jura was the same from what little time she spent around the caiman male. Maybe she could ask more probing questions about their upbringings sometime. She was honestly very curious.

Nana went inside to brew some tea at least. Paulo sat at her outdoor table while waiting for the rest of the beasts to come along. He found a small chip in the table and smoothed it out stealthily. He didn't want Nana's mates to think he found their efforts inadequate.