51. Spill

Sorry for the delay in posting. I haven't had running water and have been dealing with that.  I must say, showers and working toilets and sinks are beautiful things that I won't take for granted again. -April 13, 2023.

Nana wanted to ask her mates about their current thoughts on the two males, but there was something else that needed her attention. Nana turned to Zen who was sewing up some winter furs for her. "Zen, how is your... you know. The power struggle?" She also needed to ask about the city and Akito, but she didn't want to pepper him with questions.

Zen stilled the needle he was holding and his eyes met Nana's. "It is manageable." He went back to his work.

Nana sighed. "You know I'm looking for more than that..."

Zen's hands did not stop this time. "My brothers and I spoke about it. They assume it will take me one to two years to reach stability." Zen took a deep breath. "They have offered to help."

"Akito and Akira?" Nana couldn't see Akira helping out Zen, but maybe Akito put the other prince in his place.

Zen stopped again. "Not Akira. I have another brother, Genji." Feeling that multitasking was not going to be productive, Zen set his work down.

"Oh. That's good, but is that okay?" Now was a good time to bring up the other topic she wanted to. "Is it something they could help with better than anyone here? What about the situation in the city?" Nana held back any other questions for now and let Zen answer first.

Zen smiled a little at Nana's multiple questions. He could tell she was holding some back. "It is. I know Akito worries you, but he will not force me to do anything. Nor you. I have my freedom and I can come and go as I want."

Nana's brows came together as she frowned. "Kabuki made it sound like you had to go back."

Zen frowned lightly as well. "I do need to see Akito; no, the king again, but it is of my own violation."

"And?"

Zen's frown eased up. "The ones who are best equipped to help me are them, but the process will still take time." Zen wanted to soothe Nana's worried expression. "I will not leave until after the season of frost."

Nana nodded and let go of a breath she was starting to hold. Zen had some serious issues sticking around that he needed to fix. If it took a year or two, so be it. "You take what time you need. But when you're feeling better," Nana said with a threatening smile, "you will stop running off on me, won't you?"

Zen felt a bead of sweat form on his forehead. "Yes." He promised immediately.

"Good. That's good." Nana smiled for real now.

Zen felt like he dodged a sharp claw. He would be sure to listen. He was more than happy to settle down when his condition allowed it.

Nana talked a little more about the city with Zen. She was careful about the topic of the queen, but Zen plowed right through it. He acknowledged her passing and even told Nana a detail of what happened. The queen of the City of Rain, also known as the jungle queen, settled her death feud with the fox queen. They both lost their lives on the day Nana fled the the city.

Nana got up, sat against Zen's side, and leaned her head on his shoulder. She wrapped her arms around him and laid her tail across his. Zen was closer to his mother than his father and Nana would do anything to bring him comfort. Zen did not comment and accepted her actions with a small smile his face.

Most of her males had been outside while they discussed the topic, but Amil wasn't. He did not say a word and allowed the two their moment. He was not especially close to his parents, but he would be very sad if he found out his mother had died. He sympathized and gave them space by exiting the den.