52. Scattering Leaves

Nana was true to her words and did not accept Mundo and Paulo yet. She created opportunities for Karan to interact with them. She would often send Karan out to hunt with them. She half expected things to escalate into a fight when she wasn't looking, but Karan would not kill them. He wouldn't even hurt them badly. He better not. Nana didn't want to use a life kon over this.

Despite her misgivings, Nana decided to trust Karan with that much. Who knows? Maybe he'd feel better duking it out with them. Then again, he wasn't Troy.

While Karan was off bonding with the two males, Kibwe and Aspen stopped by to help with preparations. Nana welcomed them and got to work. She took several breaks to play with her cubs and siblings. Kibwe and Dakotah even joined her. This was something she could get used to.

The group of them played in the fallen piles of leaves as more blew around them. The cubs all got a kick out of jumping into large piles sending the leaves scattering into the air. The fox cubs got extremely excited and tried to copy the older cubs. Leaves did fly, but little, black-furred cubs also disappeared into leaf piles.

The three grown beasts had to fish out the young cubs, but they continued to repeat the process. Nana gave up quickly and joined in on the fun. She was careful not to squash any little cubs while she played.

Leaves flew around wildly and scattered about. Dakotah began raking the piles and Kibwe copied him. Once they had a bunch of large piles ready to ruin, they had more fun.

Jumping into leaf mountains was such a benign and non-beast like thing. It reminded her so much of her past life that the nostalgia hit her hard. Finding her great mood complicated, Nana traded places with Dakotah and started raking leaves into piles.

She spectated the fall olympics and really felt the competitors had no idea what they were doing. But it made for the best show. If only her missing friend and father were here to watch this. That be the icing on the cake.

Speaking of cake... there was something she hadn't thought about in a while. Nana assigned herself a new project. She would definitely figure out how to make cake sometime next year. They had grains. One of them should be able to substitute for wheat. They had honey, and sugar could be refined here. Nana listed of the ingredients in her head. The only thing she needed now, that she lacked, was an oven and her mates should be able to help with that. She'll bring it up sometime.

When Karan came home, Nana made sure to inspect him and the other two males. Unfortunately, it was only Karan. Nana refused to think the worst and raised her brow instead. Karan looked her dead in the eye and told her that he fought them.

Nana sweat-dropped and confirmed their statuses as alive. He promised her and she signed. "They aren't bad enough to need a life kon, are they?"

Karan held down a hiss at the thought of wasting life kon on the two males. "No. But they do look unappealing right now." Karan smirked slightly, thinking of his work.

Nana balked at her mate's blatant happiness. Maybe he did need to beat something up. A shame it had to be Paulo and Mundo. Hopefully, Karan got it out of his system.

"Go hunting with them again? But no fighting this time." Nana suggested carefully.

Karan nodded. There was no need for him to hit the two males anymore. He was sure that they understood their places and would be of no threat to him or the rest of the family. Cornered beasts show their guts and neither male had anything hidden. That wasn't to say he wanted them to join Nana's family; his family, because he did not. But he also knew it wasn't his choice and that Nana was allowing him this time to come to terms with it.