1.2 - Catherine Mitchell

TWO - A World For the TakingPOV - Catherine Mitchell

POV - Catherine Mitchell

THE sergeant broke us up into multiple groups after his lecture. I was with the officers where I was lucky enough to walk next to a familiar face.

"Where do you reckon he's taking us?" Dorothy whispered to me as we followed behind the sergeant. "Probably to meet some of the higher ups." I replied with a shrug.

She turned towards me and I could feel her eyes assessing me once more. "You from New York?"

"Yeah,"

"Figured." She said. "You don't got that strong of an accent, but if you listen hard enough it's there."

"Assessing people," I began. "Is that sort of...your thing?"

She nodded whilst digging into her pocket for something. "Yeah, I got a psychology major. How about you?"

"Business major." I told her. "I'll be in charge of organizing and planning attacks."

Dorothy took out a cigarette and lit it. "I'll be acting as a field psychiatrist. Helping with battle fatigue and shit like that."

"Can you imagine," I said with a light chuckle. "There's some poor battle torn guy who wants nothing else than to go home but instead-"

"He gets me?" Dorothy finished with a laugh. "If I was him, I would be a little disappointed." I said.

"Hey, the guy is getting 'one of the best of the best'." She said, mimicking the phrase that we all seemed to have been told.

"Why do you think everyone keeps on calling us that?" I asked her, shaking my head. Dorothy shrugged back. "I suppose it's because that's what we are."

"I never thought of myself as the 'best' of anything." I muttered aloud. "How come the army knows who's the best at what?"

Dorothy puffed on her cigarette before taking it out and saying, "The military has the talent of doing that. Of seeing potential where no one else does and then turning it into something powerful."

I couldn't help but scoff. "What's so powerful about a bunch of...housewives?" I asked. I doubted I would make much of a difference in the war. After all it was the 'world war' it effected everyone, how could one person change so much? How could one person be changed?

"Give it time," Dorothy said, placing her cigarette back in her mouth. "You'll see."

"You know, now you're really talking like a shrink." I told her and she only smirked back.