1.3 - Mae Lorenzo

THREE - Denial and DoubtsPOV - Mae Lorenzo

POV - Mae Lorenzo

IF someone had ever told me that I would a combat soldier I'd say they had been drinking too much of the funny juice. Yet where do I find myself right now? Sitting in a conference hall with a private insignia on my shoulder and a sergeant in front of me talking about how I'm going to be one of the first American female combat soldiers.

I'd never pictured myself as a soldier. Hell, I never even imagined there would be a war. I remember walking around for a week after December 7, 1941 denying the fact that America was in a war, thinking it was all some big prank my family was pulling on me. Denial was sort of my go to when I was addressed with a problem that I didn't want to face. Over the years I have gotten quite good at it.

Though reality always had a way of catching up with me no matter how hard I tried to outrun it. The war was happening and watching my older brothers enlist only made it more real.

Being a soldier was not my goal in life nor did I ever hold any aspiration to be the first this or the first to do that. I became a soldier because as I got older, there was one reality that I could never outrun. The fear of not fulfilling my dreams. I never dreamt of being a princess or being rich or having some handsome husband. All I ever wanted was to travel. To get to see the world before my limited time on this earth was up. I knew I would never achieve my dream through waiting tables so I signed up for the military and figured as long as I was here I might as well become great at my job. With years of experience from carrying little siblings I easily got picked for the machine gun and lugging around all of its parts.

I trained, I listened to instructions and in a couple of weeks I found myself here. Sitting in a conference hall bored out of my mind.

I twirled my red hair around my finger, the sergeants voice becoming a dull buzz in the background. He was going on and on about the same stuff that my previous CO was talking about when he pulled some other girls and myself from training and addressed us on the topic. I ended up being the only one to say yes. My main reason was not because there was a progressive mindset to it, I just really wanted the extra 2,000 dollar bonus for signing up.

I began to indulge myself in daydreams to pass the time. I imagined what France would look like and England and Germany. I imagined hills and rivers and sunsets each more unique then the rest. I figured I would have to settle with the pictures my brain painted for me until I got to see the real ones.

"Bored?" I glanced over to the owner of the voice to see a blonde woman looking back at me. She had dark brown eyes, a couple of freckles on her face, and had a muscular upper body. She sat slightly crooked with a playful smirk on her face and her legs crossed.