1.7 - Mae Lorenzo

SEVEN - StoriesPOV - Mae Lorenzo

SEVEN - Stories
POV - Mae Lorenzo

           "AND I told her she better adjust her scope or she'll miss, but noooo. She insisted she knew what she was doing. Fucking bitch couldn't hit a bear if it was sitting two feet in front of her with broken legs." I nodded along to Rooster's story as I ate another spoonful of oatmeal. I was savoring every bite of it. Today, we got the rare treat of adding brown sugar to it, a true gift from God.

"Are any of you even listening to me?"

A mixture of absent-minded hums was the reply as Rooster looked at all of us with narrowed eyes.  "You didn't hear a goddamn thing I said, didn't you?"

We all hummed affirmative causing the brunette to throw up her arms. "Seriously? I expect this from Trap, but Match and Havoc? Really?"

Matchstick was the nickname that I was already adorned with in bootcamp. Apparently it fit with my fiery red hair and 'stubborn attitude' I was told. Rita was also given the name Havoc after a prank she allegedly pulled by dropping a spider down the shirt of another soldier who cut her off during training. This event had yet to be proven by any real witnesses though.

The nicknames suited us. I hardly ever heard anyone call me 'Mae' anymore or anyone address Rita other than 'Havoc'. All of us in our friend group were simply called by our nicknames.

Our friend group was missing one though. There was an empty spot at our lunch table that was reserved for the quiet girl who was currently residing in the medbay. Or at least, I thought she was in the medbay.

A person slid into the seat next to Rita, sparing us a quick look.

"Hello." Speedy said before turning towards her food.

A pause fell over the table before it erupted into chaos.

"Hello!?" Rooster screeched. "You were on bed rest for a week and all you have to say is hello!? What happened?! Are you okay!?"

"I'm fine." Speedy said quietly, octaves below Rooster's shrieking.

"Bullshit." I voiced, looking down at the girl. "We were all worried about you-"

"Eh," Trapper shrugged.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Most of us were worried about you. What happened to you...it wasn't normal."

"Being shot?" Speedy asked, tilting her head innocently.

"No." Rita snapped. "Your...reaction afterwards."