03. a warm home

"Only a bit more. My house is that one, just up ahead."

Izuku smiled awkwardly, eventually stopping in front of the house he'd been pointing to. So, this was where he lived. And for the time being, it was also going to be where you lived.

It was certainly much smaller than you were used to, that was for sure. Then again, you'd grown up in a literal castle, which wasn't the norm. And it wasn't like you could afford to be picky. Izuku had already saved your life once and even offered you refuge. The debt you owed him was nothing short of massive.

You walked up to the front door, but Izuku hastily pulled you back by the arm. "W-Wait!" he spluttered. "I just, um... I-I need a few moments. To prepare myself..."

"For what?" you asked, giving him a quizzical look.

"Well..." He glanced around, looking everywhere but in your eyes. "I've never had a g-girl over before. It's just me and my mom, so I'm sure she might have some questions. Actually, I don't bring anyone over, not just girls. I don't really have any friends..."

Your jaw dropped open. How could that possibly be? He was the sweetest person you'd ever met. There was no way someone wouldn't want to be his friend.

"Are you joking?" you frowned.

Izuku shrunk in on himself. "I-I really wish I was."

"Gosh!" you fumed, squaring your hands on your hips. "What's the matter with this world? You deserve tens of friends—no, hundreds of them! Clearly, the people who've met you must be a bunch of idiots."

"T-There's no need to go that far," he protested. "It's probably because I'm so plain and boring. I don't blame them for not wanting to talk to me. The only thing I can really work up the nerve to bring is up heroes, and then I start rambling, and everyone gets annoyed because I won't shut up..."

"Stupid idiots. They're not even giving you a chance."

Izuku let out a nervous chuckle, then cleared his throat. "Well... that's beside the point. Anyways, I guess we can't stall for much longer. Are you ready? D-Don't be nervous. My mom is really nice to everyone, and you're nice too, so I'm sure you'll get along."

"Okay!" you beamed. "I'm ready."

After a brief pause, Izuku used his key to unlock the door, then opened it up. "Come in," he said shyly, stepping aside to give you room.

You glanced around. It was a cute, homely place. Again, very much different from what you were used to, but it wasn't stuffy like the castle you'd grown up in. Even though you were nothing more than a stranger here, somehow, it felt comfortable. Warm.

"Your home is beautiful," you smiled.

Izuku blushed. "M-My mom does her best to keep things looking nice. Actually, I should help out with the chores more often. I feel bad that she does so much of the work herself."

Speaking of, you could hear some movement coming from further inside. There was also a fragrant aroma wafting through the air. It smelled like someone was cooking.

"Izuku?" came the gentle, feminine voice. "Are you home?"

Hardly five seconds later, a kind-looking woman turned the corner and greeted you in the hallway. She was pretty much a carbon copy of Izuku, with her big green eyes and dark green hair, which was pulled into a half-up style. Her smile was friendly too, just like Izuku's. The only thing she was missing was the sprinkling of freckles that dusted the boy's cheeks.

You could tell that Izuku hadn't been lying to you. She certainly gave off the impression of being gentle and welcoming, and this was just from looking at her. She smelled sweet as well, just like Izuku did. At first, she was smiling, probably eager to greet her son, but that smile faded a bit when her gaze fell onto you.