30. tackling obstacles

"It's finally time to kick off U.A's Sports Festival! Here, the world's budding heroes will aim for each other's throats-and also the top! But let me guess, you're all here to see them, isn't that right? The brave students who fended off a villain attack, with nerves of steel! Please welcome... the Hero Department's freshman class... 1-A!"

With Present Mic's enthusiastic announcement serving as a cue, you and the rest of your classmates promptly filed into the stadium. Almost immediately, you were assaulted with bright light, and you couldn't help but squint. The sun was beating full force overhead. Goddammit. It sucked that it was such a hot day. If you didn't preserve your strength, you might end up getting worn out awfully fast.

The crowd was cheering endlessly, of course. Beside you, Izuku was stiff as a board, and you smiled encouragingly, making sure to pat him on the back a few times. You'd expected as much, but having such a massive audience didn't really psych you out. You were a bit nervous about competing against other students, but mostly, you felt excited.

"Wow, they're seriously singing our praises," Kirishima chuckled. Even someone like him, who was normally good at staying positive, looked a bit flustered right now. "I'm actually starting to get nervous. What about you, Bakugou?"

"As if," Katsuki immediately scoffed. "You're just getting stage fright. Stop being such a wuss." He paused to glance over in your direction, then narrowed his eyes. "What about you, blood fetish freak? You must be crapping your pants right about now. You sure sounded nervous when you found out this whole thing was going to be televised."

Well, duh. I thought my brother was going to find out and try to kill me again.

Since you'd reasoned that there was no reason for Ambrose to still be in this world, it went without saying that you felt a lot more at ease.

"Not really," you shrugged. "This is no biggie."

"Sounds like a load of shit to me," Katsuki snorted. "You're acting tough now, but I'll bet that when the first event kicks off, you're going to freeze in place like a dumbass."

He was always trying to rile you up. Maybe he was hoping that you would kick his ass? Did he have a masochistic streak, or what?

Or perhaps he was just the type of guy to bully the person he liked. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise you.

"There, there," you hummed, ruffling Katsuki's hair-much to his shame and horror. "You don't need to say stuff like to catch my attention. I know you're in love with me, but try to dial it down a bit, okay?"

It was a miracle he didn't scream out at the top of his lungs, because that would've made an awful first impression on the crowd of people that had turned up to watch.

Instead, Katsuki mashed his teeth together in frustration, and he was clearly exerting a lot of restraint, otherwise he probably would've punched you by now.

"You have no idea how much you piss me off," he spat. His tone was vicious; venomous, even. Too bad his cheeks were so red. It made it a lot harder to take him seriously.

"Trust me, I know," you smiled sweetly. "It's my favorite thing to do."

"Eat shit!"

He shoved you out of the way and followed behind the rest of the students. All of the different classes were told to line up alongside each other in front of a podium, where Midnight was standing at the ready. You supposed she was in charge of overseeing today's event.

"Let's all be quiet now," she instructed, cracking a whip and everything.

You leaned in to whisper in Izuku's ear. "Kaminari told me stuff like that is kinky... is that true?"