三. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬'𝐬 𝐖𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 ☯︎

Li Liang sipped his cup of tea, showing no interest in the people sitting in front of him.

The young princess sat silently on a divan with her hands folded on her lap and one leg swinging. The person sitting beside her was her overprotective twin brother, the young prince.

The prince suspected Li Liang and believed he would try to harm her, sabotage her or take advantage of her.

But it seemed that none of them were interested in each other.

So, the three of them sat in silence; the princess immersed in her thoughts, Li Liang sipping his tea and the prince shooting daggers at him.

"Why don't you leave, Zhanshi?" the princess whispered after a long minute of silence.

"Why? What will you do?" the prince asked.

"God, you are embarrassing me!"

"What is there to be embarrassed? I am just sitting here."

"But why are you sitting here?"

"Why, am I not allowed to sit here?"

"Stop it, I am growing angry."

"What did I even do?"

"Why are you sitting here?"

"Because I don't trust this guy."

"He is older than you, respect him!"

"Xia Tianㅡ"

"Zhanshiㅡ"

Their quarrel was growing louder when Li Liang cleared his throat.

The two of them stopped. Silence lapsed the air once again before the prince got up and made his way towards Li Liang, taking out something from under the depth of his robes.

It is when the prince held it close to his throat that the object was revealed. A small pocket knife, a few inches away from slitting Li Liang's throat.

"I'm leaving the two of you alone. Don't you dare to do something or else this goes right into your throat," the prince threatened.

"Zhanshi!" the princess stood up and stomped towards them.

"Put it down," Li Liang demanded in a cold voice. He grabbed the knife and lowered it from his neck level. The prince snatched the knife from his grip, resulting in a cut. Blood came gushing out of it, staining his robes.

"Zhanshi!" the princess screamed and hit her brother's back.

The door of the room slammed open and in came the Empress, a frown on her face. Li Liang stood up and bowed.

"What is going on here?" the Empress asked the twins. The princess's expression changed to disgust at the sight of her as she remained silent. The prince glared at the ground.

"What happened? Why won't you answer?" the Empress raised her voice again. "Who did this to you, Li Liang?" the Empress inquired, looking at Li Liang's wounded palm.

"It is nothing, Your Highness. It was a mistakeㅡ" Li Liang tried to cover them up but the Empress silenced him by raising a palm.

"Don't try to back them up because they are younger than you, Li Liang. They deserved to get punished severely!" the Empress glared at the twins.

The princess flinched and hid behind her brother.

"She did nothing wrong, I was the one who did that," the prince confessed.

"Why would you do something so ominous?!" the Empress shouted. "Apologize!"

The prince turned to Li Liang and bowed before uttering an apology.