四. 𝐒𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐜𝐡𝐢 ☯︎

The following day, Li Liang was very busy. Busy running away from Yi Ning, that is.

He tried avoiding her the entire morning; sometimes attempting to fly himself in the air, hiding behind pillars, and sometimes pretending to be sick and locking himself up in his room.

But Fao Yi Ning wasn't the type to give up and nor was her maid Daoyi, as Li Liang discovered that day. The pair of them split up and continued to search for Li Liang until he had given up and successfully persuaded Xiao Jun to accompany him.

Xiao Jun and Yi Ning didn't get along well and if both of them were present in the same room, the atmosphere was heavy and both of them avoided talking. If they started talking, it would turn into a heated argument as if they were discussing controversial state affairs.

It all started when little Xiao Jun almost managed to drown little Yi Ning at his eighth birthday party who in revenge was successful in burning his hair the next year. Both of their families, too were on bad terms with each other probably since the formation of Shenghuo and small incidents like these intensified the dispute between the two families.

So when Songchi, the inn they usually went to was drawing nearer with every step, Yi Ning threw a sideway glance at Xiao Jun and then at Li Liang. Xiao Jun returned her glance with a hateful glare and Li Liang seemed too interested in a red-blue hanfu in a shop nearby to notice Yi Ning's gaze.

"Why did you call him here?" Yi Ning asked loudly as the familiar men on patrol near the entrance of the inn grinned and they entered.

"This was supposed to be a date!"

"A date?!" Xiao Jun exclaimed before Li Liang could answer. "You are dating this woman?"

"What is wrong if he dates me?!" Yi Ning shrieked and caused a drunk man nearby to fall flat on his face in shock.

"Why don't you go and date someone?" Yi Ning made sure to make every word heard. "Haven't you got hundreds and thousands of women to look after you? Why don't you marry one? Then you'll see whether or notㅡ"

"Li Liang, if you don't tell this woman to shut up, I may take things into my hands."

"Shut up?!" Yi Ning halted suddenly and caused her maid who was trailing behind her to crash into her.

"Right! It is hard to digest the truth, isn't it?" she scoffed.

"Li Liang, I said if you don't tell her toㅡ"

"You shut up!"

"Miss Fao, Xiao Junㅡ" Li Liang started but was silenced at once by the appearance of a woman.

"What is it, gentlemen and lady? Are you fighting again?" the quiet voice of Migong, the owner of the inn stopped the argument.

Migong was the unmarried owner of the bar, no older than twenty-five. Dressed in expensive clothing, jewellery and make-up, she went around chatting, serving customers and earning thousands each day.

Songchi was the most famous inn and bar for the people of Shenghuo. Songchi was welcome to everyoneㅡ men, women, nobles, royals, commoners and even unemployed citizens who got numerous jobs here, from musicians to cooks. Songchi also served as a banquet hall for many purposes and had rooms and lodging facilities.

"He started the fight!" Yi Ning yelled in a voice that was much unlike her.

"I didn't even say anything to her! You can ask Li Liang!" Xiao Jun yelled even louder.

"Shut up now, both of you," Migong said over their banter. Then she looked at Li Liang and Xiao Jun with a frown on her face.

"Master Chen from Linghun is here," she said quietly.