Dante Zogratis × Reader : Darkness's Dearest Companion

Genre : Fluff (I guess?)

Summary : The world has given you nothing but misery. The last thing you expect is kindness from the dark lord himself.

Word account : 1,291.

Trigger warning : Mention of wounds.

. . . 🖤 . . .

Where darkness lingered, you followed. Not because you were forced, but because you were drawn to it.

When people who claimed the light was what brought good to this world, you had seen nothing from it but agony.

In fact, you despised your light magic that you had inherited from your parents. In a seek for perfection and power, they knew the potential your magic possessed. Thus, you were submitted to ruthless training, unforgiving treatment, and cold heart from a young age.

You could not understand why it started then, but you ceased to even attempt to care.

While your world was bright with an undying light, you found immense comfort in the dark; in the shadows that shielded you from those who wanted to take advantage of your power; in the silence that defeaned any shouting as they searched for you.

Amidst the overwhelming fog in your life, you met a man who was as dim as you. While others saw him as a menace, you saw him as a refuge, a soulmate.

A home.

In return, it was impossible for him not to notice the commonalities you both shared. But the one that stood out the most to him was your hatred for the light, thus your magic.

So, he took you in.

He embraced you like a lost child, but he did not need to guide you through the dark because it was a companion for both of you.

Now, you sat in the throne room on the chair next to Dante's. Your mind was elsewhere as three of the Dark Disciples under Dante's order reported to him about their recent activities before he instructed them of their next moves.

Normally, such meetings would occur inside Dante's office in secrecy, away from praying eyes and eavesdropping ears. But Dante desired to remind them whom the crown belonged to; so, he had meetings at the throne room with you at his side

"Wouldn't it be risky to reveal such information in open doors?" You turned your head to stare at Dante as you asked.

"Do not worry yourself, (Y/n) darling. If anyone managed to grasp the faintest thread of information, I would know." Dante replied. His head rested on his fist while his elbow was settled on the armchair.

His face was relaxed; yet, his smile revealed malice and his eyes did not bother to conceal the amusement in them.

Two Dark Disciples eyed you with a look of annoyance and disapproval, while the last one had an almost invisible seductive smirk on his face.

"Who gave you the right to look at my woman?" The level of threat you heard in that question was above any threat you had ever heard in your life. Barely lifting his hand, a nasty gash slashed across the third Disciple's face.

A warning and a promise of death.

The Disciple did not risk to scream in pain, and the other two did not dare to utter a word.

Sure, you had heard and seen Dante being threatening to maintain his reign over his subjects, but not as much as this moment. It could not possibly because he had feelings for you?