Chapter 25 - Shodara's Idea

***Note: This chapter includes explicit content.**

Ahnekk saw stark hopelessness in Charlotte's blood-splattered face and instantly understood why. She could have escaped but she didn't. It pained him to see such sorrow on her face. But he loved her for it. She saved Echnar's life. From the look of her, she'd saved several lives this night. Her arms were stained blue up to her elbows and her dress was soaked in it.

That look on her face though... was haunting. He'd started to believe she might be able to be happy here. But she was alone. He imagined, for a moment, what it would be like to be the only Uu'k'asht among a world of humans. It didn't matter if he befriended some of them or not. The loneliness would be devastating. As devastating as the expression on Charlotte's bloody face.

"Charlotte!" someone called from across the tent. Her eyes darted and found Doctor Shanzo waving her over. Moving like an empty puppet, she went to him. He watched her go and wondered at her resilience. Why was it that every time he fell for her just a little more, she was covered in the blood of his people?

At least, this time, it wasn't because she was taking lives. 

It took a long time to sew Echnar up. They almost lost him... 

If only we could heal with magic like our ancestors of old, Ahnekk thought. They could keep infection away and help wounds to heal faster. But the healers that came before could do so much more.

The wounded were slowly being carted off to Skath baths and before he knew it there was no one else to help.

He made his way back to the table Echnar was on to find Shodara laying on it with him, holding him as though she feared he would die if she let go.

"Gondrol said he can't be moved yet," she whispered.

Ahnekk nodded and leaned down to nuzzle her hair.

"He's going to be okay, Sho," he said.

"Thanks to Charlotte," she said, turning her head to find the little human across the tent.

He looked to see her standing at the edge of the tent, staring out into the darkness and rain. Her flaxen hair was so full of blood that it was blue.

"She has never seen the rain before, Ahnekk. She'd never seen lightning or heard thunder," Shodara said.

He frowned and shook his head. How could someone live their entire life without feeling the rain on their skin?

"Take her back to our tent, Ahnekk. I've sent boys to fill a tub so you can clean her up. Let her have the hard juice. She deserves to be made to feel good after today. You both do," she said. "Go, get her and claim her for us before someone else does."

"Someone else?" he asked, looking at her sharply.

"She is beautiful, and she is female, Ahnekk. Do not think we are the only ones who have noticed."

Ahnekk growled and glared around the mostly empty tent before leaning down and nuzzling Echnar's forehead. He carressed Shodara's hair, then turned and crossed the tent.

Charlotte was holding her hand out into the rain when he approached. Her lips were parted in wonder, but her eyes were tired and tear stains marked tracks down the blood on her cheeks.

Why had she been weeping?

He understood when he realized she was staring out into the darkness facing the portal field.

"Charlotte," he said beside her.

She sniffed and dropped her hand. Looking up at him, she waited silently.