T w e n t y - f o u r

XXIV

DIANA self-consciously straightened a wrinkle in her gown. It was a deep purple. Diana had been told purple was her color, and she believed it. She looked magnificent in purple. Lately, she'd been doing her best to look as good as possible—wearing a little extra powder or rouge, donning complimentary colors. She was afraid that if she didn't, the strain would show. Diana stared at her reflection in the carriage window. Were her earrings askew?

Diana sighed, inwardly chiding herself. She was being ridiculous. Beyond the essentials, Diana had never worried about how she looked. Of course now, there was a thick layer of insecurity to deal with ever since Penelope had absconded. It had been slow, but Diana's circle of friends had dried to a drip. They were polite, sympathetic, piteous (which the countess hated), but purposefully distant. Lady Stone was the only friend who had stayed more or less the same. And, although it was beneath her to question it, Diana couldn't help but wonder why. What was keeping Lady Stone so faithful?

Her carriage arrived at Terrace Hall faster than Lady Redwood would've liked. She awkwardly patted her coiffure before stepping out of the carriage. When she arrived at the door, the butler looked perplexed. Despite herself, Diana felt a stab of alarm. Had Lady Stone canceled her visit?

"Bert, it's a pleasure to see you," Diana greeted warmly.

"The pleasure is mine, Lady Redwood." Although the pitch of his voice was normal, he possessed the look of a man caught between a rock and a hard place. "Do come in." As soon as Diana stepped inside, the cause of the butler's apprehension was apparent. They were loud voices echoing out of the drawing room. "I shall go and tell Lady Stone you are here," he said, even though she knew that was the last thing he wanted to do.

He hadn't put one foot in front of the other when Lady Stone and her daughter exploded from around the corner. Polly looked serene, but her strides were swift. Lady Stone, on the other hand, was beside herself.

"Polly, come back here!" Emma shrieked. Polly's strides grew even faster. "Polly!"

Polly reached the stairwell before she turned around. She did not even acknowledge Diana, though the countess was within her line of sight. "It is my wedding, mama. I do not care whether or not you agree."

"You are not Mrs. Abernathy yet. And besides, I won't allow my daughters anywhere near this if you insist upon it."

"It is too late to withdraw my sisters from the wedding," Polly said calmly. She continued to walk up the staircase.

"Don't you dare walk away from me Polly!" Diana didn't think she'd ever seen her friend so angry.

Polly halted her ascent and blinked at her mother. Diana winced. When had these children gotten so disrespectful? "What, Mama?"

"You are not inviting that man to our wedding."

"I can do what I like."

"No you cannot," Lady Stone snapped. "It is already bad enough that you had to invite your friend as well. I was generous to allow it. But Lord Hawthorne?" Diana's stomach dropped. Polly wanted to invite that creature? Why?

"He is a friend of Penelope's," Polly said.

"Yes, we all know that the two of them are friends," Lady Stone said acidly.

"He is important to her," Polly continued. "We will accommodate them."

"We will not!" Lady Stone snapped. "Over my dead body."

"We will," Polly said patiently. "Or I will tell Papa."

Lady Stone's eyes narrowed. "Tell Papa what?"