XIIII. I've Sacked the Rules

"You have to make me look good... Briley always looks amazing. I don't know how she does it, that little bird is effortlessly beautiful." Marcus sighed into the phone. I nodded as if he could see me, realizing my mistake I "mhm'd" in response.

This (and I know I've said this before, but) was such a pivotal moment in my career, getting to design Marcus King's wedding suit...iconic. I think they even got a People magazine reporter to
cover it...

"Don't worry, you compliment her dress really well! Though she's going to be the star you'll be her moon." I reassured him.

We settled on a teal/green suit with various iconography on the forearms, chest, and up the calves. They complimented the pink contrast lapel piping and piping along the cuffs and down the side seam of the pants. There were cacti, cow skulls, a little bird on his heart (symbolizing Briley) and some other 'southwest' vibes, moons, sun rays, flowers, and some arrows. It was a mix of cutouts with contrast fabric and some were just rhinestone outlines. The look was completed with some dark brown cowboy boots that had small pink details to compliment Briley's pink floral accents (and later her reception look). He of course wore a cute bolo tie that he and Briley had picked up in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It was a silver diamond filigree shape that had carving on the sides and a pink outline for the turquoise in the middle. Marcus's initials were at the center in silver cursive.
"You'll be there for her right?" He asked. While I was based out of Nashville, occasionally contracts had me traveling. Sadly the one contract I wanted, Greta Van Fleet's second leg European tour, was a no go. Jake and I were long distance currently, we both realized a 'break' of sorts would do us good. As much as he doesn't want to admit it, Jake is very old fashioned. We've exclusively exchanged letters during the second leg of their tour and truthfully, I've never wanted him more. He writes with such sincerity and love, sometimes I have to take a minute and go on a nature walk just to be calm enough to respond. The letters detail everything from stream of conscious to how annoyed he is at Sam for forgetting his sandals in every city they've been in so far. International mail can be hard so occasionally we'll email/text them if we think they won't get there in time.

Having this break has also allowed me to connect more to what I want, while I preach to all of my friends about the importance of being independent and knowing yourself in a relationship... it's hard in practice. But since their tour I've styled The Criticals, The Backseat Lovers, The Velveteers, and Marcus King, its been a wild time.

"Of course I'll be there for her! Plus she'll have her family and friends so, I think she'll be great."
Briley, Marcus, and I had become really close while the boys were away and I've been styling Marcus for his upcoming tour. During those fittings Briley would always be such a friendly face and a wonderful conversationalist, she really brought me out of my shell.

"Alright, see you in a couple days for the final fitting and rehearsal dinner!"

"See you then!"

We hung up and I breathed a sigh of relief. The next week was going to be amazing though lightly taxing. The boys scheduled their European tour to end right before this wedding so, they got in the same day as the rehearsal dinner. This gave me exactly four days until I saw Jake again, and four days to finish Marcus's wedding look.

Not only did I have to finish Marcus's wedding suit but I also had to find some fun yet functional items for the boys to wear. And while it was a lot, I loved every minute of it.
Starting with Jake, because he was the hardest to pinpoint style wise. I had some options but my favorite was a black deep v cut 'poet shirt' with black jeans. A dark burgundy vintage western belt with the silver studs and filigree, and burgundy Chelsea boots. He also would have layered silver necklaces some rings and if I had my way, some small braids through his glorious locks.