16

"My parents are getting divorced," Taehwan blurted out. The heavy sigh in the quiet night felt good.

Yoojin patted the boy's hand on the red table of the convenience store; she knew what it was like to have tough parents. It must be hard for Taehwan. She was grateful that she had Youngbin, especially since they were the same age.

"My friends don't really get it because they all have loving families. They're all good at stuff so their parents are happy and they're happy. I know I didn't do anything wrong, and my parents are always fighting but why do they have to do this? Why aren't they satisfied?" Taehwan rambled.

"My older sister lives well off somewhere else and doesn't really care these days about what we're doing. Maybe she knew they were getting divorced," he finished.

He took a break to drink some more, his cheeks settling into a deep pink. The sky of royal blue casted shadows onto the small, red table. Yoojin wasn't sure what made her fidget more – the smell of alcohol or the humidity.

"I'm sure she still cares about you; she's probably wondering how to handle herself and you. And like you said, it wasn't your fault. You're so smart and talented in everything and they must be proud of you. Adults have their own problems and sometimes, they want to put themselves first. To do this, they also probably believe you're mature enough, which I know you are," Yoojin comforted him.

Taehwan nodded wobbly, amazed at how she was always right. He grinned at the girl opposite him, feeling better.

"Yeah, life's shit," he slurred.

The girl's eyebrows shot up. He had never sworn before.

"Okay, let's get you home. I think you've had enough," Yoojin said, getting ready to call a taxi.

"No," Taehwan shouted with a sniffle. "I want to be the guy who gets to walk you home."

Yoojin couldn't think of any other solution. "Fine. But once we get there, I'm calling you a ride home."

He accepted and got to his feet, gripping the last bottle of soju. Yoojin gently pried it out of his fingers and put it back into his bag. As they started walking, Taehwan moved sloppily. Yoojin bit her lip. She tried holding his arm to keep him steady but when he leaned too much towards her, she tried to keep her distance. His breath stank of alcohol.

The night shadows gripped her heart as they journeyed through a narrow street just one block from her house. Suddenly, Taehwan's hand brushed against her bare thigh just under her school skirt. She immediately jumped away. Her heart raced 100 kilometres an hour. The darkness. The alcohol. The small street. Yoojin thought she was fine but why did it seem like there was no air?

Taehwan came closer and as she retreated, her back hit the wall.

"What's wrong?" the boy frowned down at her. "I wasn't too close, was I? Come on, you like me too. All this time you always helped me, even when I was hurt. Don't be shy now."

Yoojin swallowed.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression but I don't like you. Please, can you give me some space?" she stuttered, trying to breathe.

"Have you been teasing me all along? At least give me a kiss," Taehwan begged.

His big hands grabbed her arms and the contact on her skin sent a cold shiver down her spine. Yoojin tried pushing him away, but he was like a brick wall. As he leaned closer, his hands crept to her collarbone and her neck. The ghost of touches trailed down to her chest and she felt sick.

Yoojin couldn't move. Her body was trapped between his and the wall. Even turning her head to the side was futile as he now had her face locked in his grip.