Chapter Twenty-five: Flowers

"Be careful Soraya." Papa calls out to me as I ran, collecting the colored leaves before they hit the ground.

"Okay!" I smiled back, catching one more before taking my seat next to Papa and added the new leaves to the pile on the table. 

"What are you planning on doing with these?" Papa had an amused look as he took a sip of tea.

"I had an idea that I wanted to try."

I hold a hand over the pile with the other hovering around the crystal necklace that laid next to it. I have been trying to use magic without having to directly touch my medium, but it hasn't worked as I planned. 

The leaves half-heartedly fluttered in the weak wind from my magic.

Papa had challenged me; saying that it would better if I could use magic if I happen to not have a magic crystal on me but it has been rough to practice.

"You have improved." Papa patted me on the head.

"Really?" I couldn't help but be disappointed in the weak wind since I had intended to create a small whirlwind.

"Most humans are unable to use magic without touching their mediums."

Papa pushes a plate of sweets towards me. 

"So, it is quite amazing."

"Oh." I quickly pick up a sweet to cover my lips that twitched at his words.

"Princess!" Nadia and Aidan wave as they approached, bowing to Papa. "Your Majesty."

"Good afternoon!" I happily greeted them as they joined us at the table. 

"Afternoon." Nadia smiles while Aidan pulls a plate to him and digs in. 

"How was your trip?" 

The twins had gone out a few days ago on patrol with the knights. 

"It was fine." Aidan said around a mouth full of food before swallowing quickly as Papa glanced at him. "We flew around and checked on our surroundings: nothing fun to report... Although- we did get something for you Princess."

Aidan picks up a bag that rested against his chair leg.

"Please close your eyes."

 I do as he asked, placing my cup back down on the table. 

"Aaandd now you can open them!" 

I open my eyes to a large bundle of flowers in front of my face. The strange looking flowers seemed to shine in different colors and had a glow that could be seen even in the afternoon sun.

"Magic flowers?" Papa asks as I took them.

"Pretty. They are very pretty. Thank you Aidan! Nadia!"  I rubbed the petals of a flower unable to take my eyes away from how they changed from the pressure of my thumb.

"I knew you would like them!" Aidan looked proud of himself as he nudged his twin.

"What are magic flowers Papa?" I asked, looking up for a moment.

"Simply put- their flowers made of magic. Usually places full of dense magic will have them growing. The stronger the color and glow, the purer the magic is. There are a few places around here that they grow but I haven't seen such vibrant colors like that for some time."

"Obviously I've done well." Aidan's smile could barely be contained.

I kept rubbing the flower, seeing the glow starting to attach itself to my fingers.

"Soraya?" Papa's voice felt far away as I leaned in to sniff the flowers. 

"Princess?"

The smell of the flowers seemed to remind me of something. I breathed in deeply, trying to place the scent.