Chapter 2: Changed My Life

I am now 19 and it's been about four months since I started working at Mr. Foster's restaurant. I had just served Mr. Foster my recipe for white chocolate cake. Although it sounds ordinary, that's not what Mr. Foster told me.

"Janelle! My goodness this is absolutely delicious! It's simple yet delicious!" I smiled. "Sir I'm glad, but I don't deserve your praise." He scoffed, "Janelle you're too modest. Janelle, you're my head chef for a reason. Now I want you to do something for me." I looked at him with curiosity. He continued, "Well since you're my best chef and the head chef, I want you to cook the meal for the Royal Family of Clari who is coming here next week. Apparently they heard such good things about our restaurant and want to taste our food!" My jaw dropped. The Kingdom of Clari is the neighboring country of Montegi and is on good terms with all the neighboring countries. Anyway... Me?! Cooking for the Royal Family of Clari? In one week? I said in a weak voice, "Sir are you su-." Before I could finish he said, "Yes I want you to prepare the meal for them. Now return to the kitchen it's almost time to open and by the way I want you to serve them the cake you prepared or me today." But before I could object his phone rang and he left me there in shock. I picked up the empty plate and went back to the kitchen. For the rest of the day, I could hardly focus on work.

When my shift was over I rushed to the orphanage to tell Miss Mary the new. When I arrived at the orphanage I was greeted by the children yelling things at me. "Janelle are you gonna cook for us? Can you play with me? I drew a picture for you!" All the kids were excited to see me because I usually go straight home after work. I replied to them, "Sorry guys not today, but it was nice to see all of you!" Then Miss Lily appeared. "Janelle! Welcome back how was work?" I replied, "If I could describe it shocking. Anyway where is Miss Mary?" "Mary? She's in her office" I said thank you and quickly went to her office, leaving Miss Lily and the kids behind.

When I arrived at the door, I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. "Come in." I opened the door and went in. Miss Mary seemed surprised to see me. "Janelle you rarely come here after work. Is something wrong?"

Wow I haven't even said a word and she already knows what's wrong.

"Well I'm a bit nervous because something happened at work and well..." She looked at me urging me to continue. "Mr. Foster told me that the Royal Family of Clari is to come to our restaurant next week and I am to prepare their meal. Miss Mary I'm a nervous wreck!"

Her jaw dropped like mine, but instead of being shocked she said, "Janelle! I'm so proud of you!" She walked up to me and embraced me. When she finally let go I said to her, "What am I going to do? I barely have any experience and I am supposed to cook for the Royal Family!" Miss Mary grabbed my shoulders to make me face her. "Janelle you can do this I promise you. You have an exceptional talent. There is a reason why you are the head chef and why Mr. Foster wants you to represent the restaurant. It's because he trusts you and knows you'll do an exceptional job." When she said those words to me, she gave me the confidence I needed to do the job. So I thanked her and went home, thinking what I should make. For the next few days I practiced the dishes I plan to serve the Royal Family, hoping, wishing I won't make a mistake.