Unexpected Union

Nordica's POV

So I decided I wanted to watch Jake and the other young hunters get their ikran. So that I'd be better prepared to get mine after the birth of the twins. It took some convincing for Tsu'tey to allow me to go. He didn't think I'd be able to handle the climb. But Neytiri stepped in and said Zeze her ikran would be able to carry us both there from the base.

We rode with the others on the back of Ju'li, with Zeze following us over head. When we reach the base, we dismount. While the others continue on. Neytiri and I have  quick snack as it'd take longer for the others to climb up, then it will for us to fly. Zeze also got some meat to eat. While Ju'li grazes near by.

"Are you ready?" Neytiri asks me. I nod my head and she calls Zeze over. She mounts her forming their bond. Then holds an arm out to me. I take it and climb on behind her. I hold on tight as she takes off. As we fly I notice the others climbing vines with their bare hands. If they fell from this height, they'd die.

"Has someone ever fallen?" I ask Neytiri over the howling wind. She shakes her head. I guess that was a stupid question, the Na'vi have climbed since before they could walk. Still it's a little nerve racking. I guess the only one luckily to fall is Jake. But he seems to be doing fine.

We fly around until the reach the summit. Before Neytiri lands as we dismount. Zeze nudges her affectionately as Neytiri smiles at Jake. Who looks a little out of breath. So I need to work on stamina and endurance. Noted.

"Jake Sulley will go first" Tsu'tey states in English. Tsu'tey smirks at Jake, a challenge in his eyes. The two teenage Hunters are scared but trying to act tough. Tsu'tey scowls when Neytiri leads Jake out onto the ledge past the waterfall. The rest of us follow them, Tsu'tey bringing up the rear. As I try no to slip. Neytiri whispering instructions to Jake.

When I see all the wild ikran, I am awestruck. I had no idea they came in such a variety of colours. They are beautiful. As Jake approaches them a weighted leather strap, like a one-ended bolo. "How will he know which one is his?" I ask Neytiri quietly.

"It will try to kill him" she answers.

"What?!" I exclaim and holds me back.

"He'll be ok" she assures me as a large blue male ikran spreads enormous wings, shrieks and glares straight at Jake. "Watch" she tells me letting going of my arm. As Jake and the ikran begins to circle each other. The ikran hisses and leaps at Jake, jaws wide as Jake times the lunge, swinging the bolo, feinting and then slipping aside as the ikrans's jaws miss him, snapping shut.

Jake wraps the bolo across its snout. The weighted thong whips twice around its long jaws, tying them shut. A muffled screech and it slashes at a Jake's stomach with razor talons. But Jake is already leaping, over the talons and tackling the ikran around the neck. I cheer him on with the other young hunters.

Neytiri tells Jake to make the bond. Jake grabs Ikran's whip-like antenna and brings it toward his queue. But the ikran's bony head slams sideways. It clocks Jake right in the face, almost knocking him out and it writhes, flinging him to the ground. Jake slides on the rock and almost goes over the edge of the cliff.

"Jake!" Neytiri and I shout. I the bolo is coming loose as the creature shakes its head, way pissed off now. Jake jumps back to his feet as I hear a hiss behind me. I turn to see a dusty red female ikran with a blue tip tail and black markings. One of which looks like a rose at the base of it's long neck.

It hisses at me angrily. Oh no, this wasn't supposed to happen. I raise my hands and slowly back away from it. No longer paying attention to Jake's fight with his ikran. "Please don't" I plead and she screeches. The others suddenly notice and Neytiri tries to help. But Tsu'tey held her back, it is against the tribe law to interfere during someones fight with their chosen ikran.

"You can do this" Tsu'tey tells me as I am backed into a corner. The ikran snapping her jaws at me. Tears appear in my eyes. I can't fight a wild ikran. What if I lose my babies. I wrap my arms around my stomach. The ikran pauses tilting it's had looking at me.

She lowers her head to my stomach. "Please don't hurt, my babies" I plead. She sniffs me and nudges my stomach almost fondly. She offers me her antenna. "You sure?" I ask her and she nods her head. I connect my que to her antenna forming the bond and gasp at the new connection. Neytiri rushes over getting me to mount the ikran.

"First flight seals the bond, you can not wait" she tells me. I nod my head in understanding.

"Take off slowly" I tell the ikran and she does so. Though I nearly slipped off, not used to flying solo. "Whoa, level out girl" I say and she does so. "You are gonna need a name" I state as I get used to the feel of flying. I remember the rose like marking on her neck. "How about Rosa?" I suggest and she coos happily. "Rosa it is" I declare.

As we are joined by Jake and Neytiri on their own ikran. "Well this was unexpected" Jake states.

"You're telling me" I say with a chuckle. "But I love Rosa already" I state.

"Pretty name" Jake tells me.

"What are you gonna name yours?" I ask him.

"Bob" he answers and I chuckle. I go land by Ju'li introducing her to Rosa. Before sending her home with the other pa'li. I remount Rosa and fly home with the others. Needless to say everyone was surprised to see I had gotten an ikran of my own. But celebrated it anyway along with Jake and the other two who had successfully go ikran of their own. All of who are now resting at the top of hometree with the other tame ikran.

A/N

Picture above of Nordica's Ikran Rosa.