FORTY THREE

Word Count: 2027

~Tove

I yawn, trying not to drag my feet.

This has been the longest day of my life. I've followed Keo around a large part of the Territory One city, asking people for information.

Almost every one of them has no idea what we are talking about...

This fabled Demon doesn't seem to exist.

"We have talked to everyone we can, we have been to every corner of this city...this is hopeless," I mutter, pausing at the end of the street.

The sun is setting behind the rolling dunes of the expansive desert. We have made it to a district at the end of the city that is almost half consumed by sand. It's everywhere. It blankets roofs, it blows across the street and right into my eyes...

"It just doesn't make sense," Keo mutters, sweeping his hand through his hair frustratingly. "Why would this Demon stop taking Angel-blood's from here?"

I sigh, shaking my head.

"Because they aren't here anymore," I mutter.

The wind flutters through Keo's hair as he stares out at the horizon. He's tense, uneasy. Ever since we got here he's been deep in thought, hardly paying attention to what's going on around him.

"Something doesn't feel right," he murmurs.

"You're the one who is good at tracking. Perhaps you should follow your instincts," I encourage.

Keo was able to determine out of all Angel-blood's in these vast lands that I had the powers he needed. How long it took him is beyond me, but I imagine it all came down to his uncanny ability to track people down.

He shifts his attention over slightly, back down the street. "Wait..."

"What?"

"That's Dax."

I follow where he is pointing, seeing a figure strolling stiffly down the street. Those deep brown curls and slender figure is all too familiar, and not in a good way.

"Dax? What is he doing out here?" I question. This is right on the outskirts of the city. "He's walking out into the desert."

The Noble's stride doesn't falter once as his feet his the sand. He clearly has a destination in mine.

"I suppose we follow him," Keo says with a shrug.

So, we too start off after him. He doesn't turn around once, although we keep a decent distance back. Keo walks close to me, ready to transport us both away in case Dax does decide to scan the area.

"Where do you think he is going?" I ask.

Keo frowns. "I'm not sure, but something doesn't feel right."

He's right, Dax is acting strange. The way he walks, it's like he's in a trance. I know he has the ability to transport himself, and yet he is walking into the desert like he's just a mortal.

"Don't get too close. I don't want him seeing me and...you know," I remind him, staring at the back of Dax's head from a distance.

Keo's eyes are dark as he looks down at me. "He won't touch you. Don't worry."

I nod, shivering a little. The sun has officially slipped below the horizon, darkness sweeping across the dunes. My eyes strain to keep Dax in my vision, not wanting to let him slip from view.

We walk for a while, not exchanging any words at risk of Dax hearing.

Eventually Dax stops, going ridgid.