chapter six

Chapter 6. Reborn as the Villainess

"You are the daughter and second offspring of Count Steven Clorance. My Lady's name is Cassia Clorance."

Cassia Clorance?!

"Sorry, but could you repeat that once more? What's my name?"

Please tell me I'm just hearing things. Right? I'm just hearing nonsensical words...

"It is Cassia Clorance - My Lady! Rosette, quickly call the family physician!"

"Miss Mira, the family physician is not currently at the castle. Sir Leon was summoned by the Count and will be away for a week."

"Then call another physician! The young lady's safety is our priority. Hurry!"

I couldn't wait for Mira to finish speaking. I simply found myself sitting on the floor, my knees giving way as her words echoed in my ears.

Cassia Clorance.

This must be insane. Am I going crazy right now? Why did I suddenly wake up inside the body of 'that' person?

After hearing that name, a slight headache surged through my head, and fragmented memories started flashing in my mind. Most of them were blurry with gaps, but they belonged to the original owner of this body.

But why in the world am I experiencing this? Could it be that after dying in the real world, my soul somehow entered the world inside the novel, and unfortunately, I ended up possessing the body of Cassia Clorance, the main villainess and symbol of misery? The character with only one outcome in the story-a tragic ending, aka death.

Isn't this kind of plot supposed to exist only in fiction? I've read novels with the same premise, where the female lead is reincarnated into the world of a novel. But to actually experience it myself? It's utterly ridiculous.

I am grateful for being granted a second chance at life, but out of all the characters in this novel, why did I end up as Cassia Clorance?

Wow, God. Thanks for the second life, huh? A second life where I'm bound to die once again. Thank you soooo much! May you feel the overflowing sarcasm and be touched by guilt.

But hold on. I can just alter the original plot of the story and avoid my impending doom, right?

Exactly! Since I've read the entire novel, I know the upcoming events. I can use that knowledge to my advantage and devise a plan for my survival in this life!

That's it! I'm determined to change my fate as Cassia Clorance. I won't allow myself to follow the path of the original character from the novel.

In this life, I, who was once named Ariana Lei Valencia but now bear the name Cassia Louverno de Clorance, will alter my destiny, escape a tragic ending, and live a happy and peaceful life.

"My Lady."

I was snapped back to reality as I heard someone calling. It was Mira, the maid.

Suddenly, I remembered Mira's character from the novel. Although her character wasn't extensively described, I knew that Mira was Cassia's loyal maid, the only person who stood by her side.

Mira, born as the daughter of a Viscount who was also a renowned merchant in the Empire, had once lived a happy and comfortable life. Unfortunately, her parents died in a carriage accident, leaving her all alone.

Mira was a clever and hardworking girl, never one to be picky about things. She was skilled in household chores as well.

One afternoon, in the downtown area of the Capital, Mira and Cassia happened to cross paths coincidentally.

Cassia, who had gotten separated from her maids while holding a paper bag of cookies, and Mira, who was simply wandering around searching for food.

When Cassia noticed Mira staring at her, she glanced down at the paper bag she was holding and then back at Mira. Cassia approached her and handed over the bag of cookies-cookies she happened to dislike because of the strawberries. It was merely an act of discarding something she didn't care for.

However, Mira perceived it differently. She happened to love strawberries, and cookies were her favorite snack. She graciously accepted the cookies from Cassia and expressed her gratitude to the young girl. But for Cassia, it was nothing more than getting rid of something she didn't like.

A few months later, Mira unexpectedly applied for a maid position at the Clorance Household, unaware that she would encounter Cassia once again. It was Cassia who was selecting a personal maid.

The young Cassia didn't find the other maids appealing and decided to choose Mira, who appeared younger and more pleasing to her eyes.

From that moment on, the fourteen-year-old Mira pledged her loyalty to serve Cassia Clorance.

Sadly, in the novel, Mira ended up dying after falsely confessing to stealing a large sum of money from the Count's family. In reality, it was Cassia who had taken the money. In order to protect her Lady, Cassia, Mira took the blame and declared herself the thief. Subsequently, she was sentenced to death by the court.

I cried when I read that part in the novel. Such a loyal person like Mira meeting such a fate... No. I won't allow it. Now that I have become Cassia Clorance, I will change not only my own destiny but also Mira's.

Mira may be the only trustworthy ally I have in this world. I must protect her, just as she protected Cassia in the original story.

And to initiate that change, there is one thing I must do.

"I'm sorry, but... who are you?"

With that question, the entire Clorance Manor seemed to shift, as if the atmosphere itself had transformed.

To be Continued...