Part 29

Hey guys, thank you for your votes and comments.
Continuing from the last part,

Monami was in front of his ‘body’.

They were in a morgue that belongs to the defence department.  A room with dull grey walls.  A lifeless and cold room.

Though she thought she was prepared, she was still repelled by the sight. 

His body burnt into an unrecognisable charred corpse.  The only conclusions they could make of the remains were that he was very tall, not too thin, but not fat either, which fits Avni’s description of him.     

According to the police, his car went off the cliff during a high speed pursuit with the police. There was an explosion at the bottom of the hill.  

“kya yeh 'woh' hain’?” Monami asked Karan.

During the hot summer days, Karan usually wore a white shirt and pant without his jacket. But today, he has his full suit on. Even his shoes were nicely polished. It’s a sign of respect for meeting someone for the first time, even though he’s no longer alive.  

He did not answer Monami’s question. Instead, he looked at the body for a few seconds, then he greeted ‘him' with a small smile’: “Hi.”

His voice was mellow and soft. 

 Monami was used to his unusual behaviour. But others were perplexed: “aap iss person ko jante hain?”

Before they get an answer, Karan has walked out of the room.

——————

The conference room of the defence department.

It’s a meeting between the representatives from India and the FBI from the US.  Karan looked like a different person from the charmer who called her “rani sahiba” yesterday.  Today, he is a professional with a sharp mind and distinguished capability. 

Monami sat quietly at the back with a few other supporting staff members.  

One the side of the round table sat the reps from FBI. They shared the results of the DNA testings: “We have successfully identified the deceased.”

They project a picture of an Asian man on the screen.  He was wearing a suit.  He looked like he was in his late twenties. 

Prakash Rai.  American born Indian. IT engineer.” FBI rep looks at Karan: “Simon, you should be familiar with who he is.”

Everyone was surprised by the statement.

Karan replied with a mocking tone: “What an honour - He’s one of the survivors I helped rescued from Flower Cannibal No.1.”

—————-

Prakash Rai fits the profile drew up by the FBI.  The physical attributes, his nationality, what he was wearing at the time of death (a match to Avni’s descriptions)… He was a rich and intelligent expat that returned to India about 6 months ago.  He had the means to stalk Karan, and the ability to leave the clues at the crime scene.  

What was his motive?

 The FBI have come up with two explanations:

1. Post traumatic stress disorder prevented him from living a normal life. The mental illness turned him into an abuser.  

2.  Perhaps he was an accomplice of the Flower Cannibal from the start.  He pretended to be one of the victims to escape from being arrested when the Flower Cannibal was captured by Karan and the FBI.