Charlie Dalton- painful secrets

Listen, you can't help that you're clumsy, it's just normal at this point. Sometimes it's just random, and sometimes you're not paying enough attention. Well this time it was that you were 100% distracted walking down the stairs after class. You were completely spaced out, hardly even knew you were taking the stairs to be honest.

But of course you slipped and tumbled down the last few steps. Pain splintered from your left ankle, meaning you knew you needed to go see the nurse. Sadly, it was sprained. She gave you some ice and a brace and sent you home for the day.

After getting home you realized you had plans with Charlie tonight. Shit. You didn't want to tell him you fell, he was always joking about how clumsy you are. You decided to cancel and chalk it up to a crazy amount of homework.

When you called it was Todd that answered the phone. Once he realized it was you, he quickly grabbed Charlie. "Hey y/n, couldn't wait til tonight o talk to me?" He flirted on the other end. "Hey I'm so sorry but I have to cancel tonight, I've got a big project we just got assigned today and only have a couple days to do it. Any chance I can get a rain check on that date?" "Ah come on, you never cancel a date, even if the world was ending!" "I know, I know but this is really important" "fine I get it, you're like Meeks, you think school is more important than your dashing boyfriend" you rolled your eyes and finished up the conversation.

You felt bad having to cancel tonight, but you really didn't want him to see you like this. You figured that the best think for your ankle anyways would be to rest, not whatever Charlie had planned for the night.

After dinner you went back up to your room with some ice to help ease your pain. You heard the doorbell ring, but couldn't make out your moms voice to figure out how was there. The door shut a minute later and you figured it was no one important.

Then all of a sudden, Charlie was standing in your doorway. "Charlie? What are you doing here?" You asked, very confused seeing that he agreed to reschedule your date. "I knew something was wrong went you called to cancel our date, you never cancel, even for a big test," he explained his soft eyes.

He eyed your ankle and you suddenly remembered why you had called him in the first place. You quickly moved to cover it up with a blanket, but he walked over and uncovered it.

"Charlie I can explain-" he put his hand up to quiet you and knelt beside your bed. He uncovered your ankle and removed the ice to get a good look at it. He gently placed the ice back down and ran his hand up and down your lower leg. "Y/n, what happened?" He looked at you with concern and hurt, knowing that you wanted to hide this from him. You cleared your throat, not wanting to answer him. You know you should have told him, but you felt sort of ashamed for being so clumsy.

"I um, I slipped down the stairs today at school." You avoided looking at him, not wanting to see the mix of emotions on his face. "Why didn't you tell me?" He asked, looking at you with kind eyes. "I didn't want you to call me a klutz like you always do, I figured if I blamed it on homework, you'd leave it alone and I wouldn't have to tell you what happened."

He sat next to you on the bed, taking your hand in his. "Does it really bother you when I call you klutz or call you out for being clumsy?" he asked rubbing his thumb over the back of your hand. You nodded in response. "I'm sorry y/n I didn't mean for it to hurt you, I was just trying to be funny, make you laugh." You look at him and pulled him into a hug, which he gladly accepted, resting his chin on top of your head and rubbing your back.

You accepted his apology came up with a compromise, he can call you klutz twice a month but it really has to be earned. You too cuddled up for the next hour before he had to go back to school. Before he left he took your hand again and said "y/n I'm sorry I act the way I do sometimes, but I don't want you to be scared to tell me important things like this again. If I have to change for you I will, you're important to me." You look at him with a soft smile, "Charlie Dalton, I like you just the way you are." You placed a soft kiss to his lips before taking him downstairs to leave. As he rode his bike out of the drive way, he took his left hand off the handle and gave you the biggest goodbye wave he could manage.

Man did you love that idiot.