Chapter 1: The Song in the Valley

The sunrise sent slanting beams of light into the valley tucked three days' journey into the Màlterbelah mountains, illuminating the trees and making them seem to glow with their own private light. As the sunlight filled the valley, and the birds began to twitter, 

it fell on a solitary cave entrance at the top of a rocky slope overlooking the green forest. A small figure stepped out of the darkness to meet the light of the new day. Her yellow eyes glittered in her round face as she looked up at the clear blue sky. The sunlight swirled around her and caressed her brown arms, giving her life.

She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, absorbing the warmth the sun gave. She was clothed in a rough tan tunic with a soft pair of loose white pants underneath. Her black hair tucked into a braid that reached halfway down her back gleamed in the sunlight.

A breeze came and ruffled the downy feathers behind her ears. Aqie smiled and opened her eyes. What a beautiful day, she thought. With a glance behind her to check that the cave was all in order, Aqie lightly sprang off the slope, spread out her arms, and took to the sky.

The breeze batted her playfully as she swooped in the air, revelling in the simple joy of flight. A tune bubbled up in her head, and Aqie sang into the wind, letting it carry the song wherever it would. It was a simple song without words, a song of snow-capped mountains and fresh breezes, bubbling brooks and golden sunbeams, letting the whole world know that the day was perfect.

"Aqie!" her mother called. Aqie flipped over and swung back towards the cave. Rrari stood at the entrance, hands cupped to her mouth. Her wheat-gold hair was pulled back, but two strands escaped to frame her multicolored eyes, one purple and the other green. Her kaprae, the mark of an adult Larkwing, was a cloud of vibrant color, seemingly floating in the air. When she was sure she had Aqie's attention, she called again. "Don't you remember what day it is?"

Aqie dove down and alighted on the edge. "Yes," she said breathlessly, "My coming of age, when I come into the fullness of my identiae." Her mouth quirked to the side a bit with the reminder.

Rrari smiled and ruffled Aqie's hair. "That's right. It's hard to believe it's been thirteen years since you were born. It seems like only a few days."

"Thirteen years," Aqie echoed before falling silent. She fiddled with the end of her braid. "What will it be like? Will it be hard?"

Rrari laughed and put a hand on Aqie's shoulder. "Aqie, coming of age isn't hard in and of itself. It's like unlocking a room inside yourself and discovering how to use the power you always had. What's harder," Rrari added, growing serious, "Is discovering what it means to grow up. You'll have to make choices for yourself now."

Aqie nodded solemnly. "You'll help me, though, right? What if I make the wrong choices?" She looked down and fiddled harder. "I don't feel grown up," she admitted in a whisper, "I don't think I want to."

"Growing up isn't about how old you are, it's a process," Rrari replied gently. "Coming of age doesn't automatically give you all the experience and wisdom of an adult. Even adults can be foolish and make bad mistakes. But coming of age does mean that you are old enough to start making decisions for yourself. Sometimes they will be bad ones, and sometimes they won't, but you'll have to bear the consequences. Sometimes your choices will put your i'li ones in danger, but I pray it never comes to that."

"Me too," Aqie agreed with a shudder. "I never want to have to make that kind of a choice."

There was a beat of silence, then Rrari shook herself. "Anyway, enough of that for now," she said briskly, "Coming of age is supposed to be a joyful event as well as a serious one. Come on, Warble is waiting for us in the glen."