Chapter Twenty-Four: Get Out of Here

Natan skipped breakfast, wanting to get out of bed and talk to the Larkwing girl early instead of eating from a tray like an invalid. He had the sneaking suspicion Maru had slipped in after he'd talked to the girl yesterday and threatened her with more than she could handle. Please, Adonai, do not be angry. I don't intend to harm Your Larkwing. And I won't let Maru harm her either. Not that he was sure he could keep his promise. Maru had done a very effective job of keeping him locked up while she did business. He didn't blame her, since he'd been the one to incur all their debt.

"Greetings," he told Enek as he passed, ignoring his startled expression. If all his slaves thought he was strange, so be it. As long as they considered him a good master, they would be loyal. A good thing if Firot tried to bribe them into sharing the secret of the girl in his house.

Natan entered the storage room and lifted the trapdoor with a grunt. The thing got lighter each time, but it'd still be awhile before he was good for another duel. At least he was healed enough to be out and about now. Really, he should be out on another trading expedition, but they had nothing good to trade.

The Larkwing girl's cape was their best option.

He flipped over the trapdoor and propped it up with the bolt before descending. He'd forgotten to bring a candle, but rexer. The Larkwing girl's cape glowed anyway. It wasn't like they needed a lot of light to talk to each other.

He took the last step and blinked, waiting for his eyes to adjust. Usually, the girl would have said something by now. Lately she'd been yelling before he resumed their conversation. Hopefully Maru hadn't done anything serious. She wasn't the type to get physical, but they were desperate.

He still didn't see anything, not even the telltale glow of the Larkwing's cape. This wasn't good. Where was she?

"Little girl?"

No answer. Natan's heart sped up. "Little girl?"

Still nothing. Had Maru killed her? Tele, Adonai would curse them for sure! What happened to Larkwing capes when they died? Did they remain the same or did they become less real? Many of the ones he'd handled seemed flabby compared to the Larkwing girl's vibrant gold cape. Occasionally one would dissolve without explanation. Sometimes he'd have to reimburse a disgruntled customer. He prayed that the Larkwing girl's cape wouldn't dissolve. Usually they could handle a reimbursement or two, but not while they were struggling to stay afloat. He needed her cape to sell well, at a high enough price to stave off Firot and pay off some other debts.

His eyes finally adjusted, but there was nothing in the cellar. Natan turned in quick circles, but his eyes didn't deceive him.

She was gone.

Natan whirled around and climbed the steps, thumping the trapdoor closed behind him. "Maru!"

Please, please, let me find her. It can't end like this. Was Adonai all-watching? How would He curse them? He only had moments before it was too late.

She wasn't eating breakfast. The guest rooms, doing business? He hadn't heard anyone come in. Natan sped around Eka and burst in as quickly as he dared. Already, his breaths were beginning to come too fast. Even less decorations than the last time he'd been in here, but Maru hadn't sold their inset quicksilver yet. If the Larkwing girl's cape was really gone, it might be the last thing they could use. He barely brushed his hands over its slick surface before going to the front.

The curtain was open and there was no one there, but Natan popped in just in case. Still no one. "Maru!"

The front door opened and Natan nearly ran into Maru as she stormed in. Her momentary look of surprise vanished faster than wisp smoke and she shut the door firmly behind her.