Chapter Nine | Sounds Like Heaven

Zack laughed as he and Melissa left the tree's leaving Dylan to follow behind them. The islands hot sand burning his feet as his frown only deepened by the minute.

So engrossed in their conversation Melissa didn't pay attention towards the large scene that stood before them. Amy was crying and screaming and a crowd formed around the passageway to the bungalows all distraught focusing intently on the water.

Dylan was the first rushing to the scene leaving Melissa and Zack behind, his only focus on one of his best friends in a panicked state. The water rushed in waves for the first time hitting the bungalows, the clear sign of a storm about to hit them.

His feet burned against the beach sand and it started to feel like razor blades cutting into his bare feet as soon as he hit the wood of the passageway, the crowd stood in a panic not knowing what to do.

"Where is he?"

"Can anyone see him?"

"Someone has to jump in!"

"No! We'll drown!"

The crowd yelled and begged the moment Dylan was close enough to hear. He bends down on his knees next to Amy not caring about anything else. The poor girl was soaked in the oceans salty water, had eyes red and hands shaking in fear.

"What happened?" He demanded an answer.

Amy flinched at the sharp edge in his tone, but pointed towards the ocean.

"H-He..." She broke down in sobs tears streaming from her cheeks.

Dylan's hair stood on the back of his neck, "Did someone hurt you Amy?" He growled.

Amy quickly shook her head no before sobbing more, frustrated from not getting an answer he turned to the crowd.

"What is wrong Amy?!" His voice cut through the confused and fearful murmurs through the people.

"Someone fell in after her trying to pull her out of the water." A young man explained.

"We called Ruth their on their way with emergency rescue," Mason cut in walking back to the crowd. Sweat dripping from his face. Clear he had been running for help, confusion filled him as to why no one would jump in to save the person.

Amy cried louder, "Alex!" She screamed out.

That's all it took for everything to make sense, he didn't waste time. Without thinking about it Dylan dove into the crashing waves. The water felt like freshly freezing ice against his hot skin.

Eyes burning as he was forced to open them being met by darkness and rocks crashing through the water. The roughness of the ocean kept fighting against him as he swam deeper.

A green glow caught his eye from the side, a rock. One muffled by the sinking man dropping deeper into the water by the second.

Dylan's lungs began to burn as he swam deeper towards Alex, his head pounding and heart beating out of his chest. He was filled with adrenaline.

The deeper he swam the lighter the force became from the crashing waves, making it easier to grab onto Alex's shirt which floated around him. Thanking God that he had been athletic Dylan couldn't imagine how tough it must be to fight against these waters without any strength to back you up.

Quickly Dylan pulled Alex to the surface the fight against the waves that started tugging him down even harder became a struggle. Someone from the passageway pulled Alex out of Dylan's hands and immediately started CPR just as Ruth came running towards the group. The island lifeguards following behind her in a rush to get to the patient.