EC30: Comfortable sleep

He heard a muffled voice telling him to come in so he twisted the door knob and slowly pushed the door open. The view that greeted him was of Amber hunched over her desk while writing. The office was sparsely decorated, he could only see a sitting area in front of the desk where the woman was currently sitting. After the sitting area was a place filled with rows of shelves holding books and files. Behind the Alpha was a large painting of a silver wolf and it was the only decoration he could see inside. It was very plain even for an office.

Amber knew who had just entered, she could already smell him even when he was still standing outside but she chose to finish her current work for now. She was focused when she heard his voice, "You should take a break and eat your breakfast first. I'm sure that even for a werewolf, skipping meals would not be good for your health."

She heard the clink of the tray that was placed on the table so with no other choice, she decided to stop what she was doing. Amber stood up and walked towards the sitting area where the breakfast was waiting for her.

"Thank you," she mumbled after sitting down.

"You are welcome," he was not sure if he should leave or stay to wait for her to finish so that he could take the tray back to the kitchen. Xander then decided to leave and let her eat in peace when he heard her speak once again.

"Have you had your breakfast?" she asked after taking the first bite. She then looked up and gave him a smile even though she was little bit tired for staying up.

Xander could see the dark circles around her eyes and the tired smile and it made his heart upset without warning, "Yes, I'm done. You should focus on eating and rest after. Those documents will be able to wait for you even if you took a short nap."

"Then, can you stay here? I know that it is a bit rude for me to be eating while you are watching me so you can go over the shelves and browse some of the books. I just want you stay for a while and accompany me." In Xander's eyes Amber appeared to be vulnerable right now and as a gentle man, he nodded his head in agreement.

Instead of sitting, he took her suggestion and went to look at her collection of books. Xander was engrossed with browsing the books and was impressed with Amber's collection of books that he did not notice the time passed by.

Silence. He came back to reality once he noticed that the room became silent. The moment his eyes traveled to the sitting area only to see Amber on the sofa with her eyes closed. His heart softened and he carefully returned the book to the shelf and carefully walked toward her.

'It seems that she fell asleep,' he mumbled to himself as he looked around to look for some cloth that he could use to cover her then he saw a line of cabinets.

Without faltering, he opened one of them and saw some folded blankets so he pulled one and carefully placed it on top of Amber. He did not know what had possessed him but instead of leaving, he decided to stay.

'Then, can you stay here?' he remembered the question which made him sigh. "Haaah," he closed his eyes and leaned on the couch. "I'll just stay here then."

The sun had slowly reached its peak when Amber woke up from her sleep. There were no nightmares nor dreams instead her sleep was good. She sat up from the sofa and noticed the white fabric covering her body. The blanket was caressed as a smile appeared on her face when she thought about the person who placed it on her.

She was happy. She was touched to the point that she even hugged the blanket that's when she noticed that the smell of the silver moon flower was still strong inside the room. Amber looked to her left and saw that Xander was sleeping while sitting on the couch.

The Alpha stared at him, taking in his visage and engraving it to her mind. Having a mate was refreshing and comforting, although she was new to this, she was currently enjoying it. Whenever she was with her mate, she could be like any other woman out there, not an Alpha but a woman who was slowly falling in love.

'So, this is what it felt like to have a mate by your side,' she whispered to herself. She was smiling to herself as she could not help but to feel happy. If her parents were still alive, they would surely be happy because finally she found her mate.

The thought that he did not leave made her smile and it made her secretly happy. 'Our mate is really handsome!' Eirian interjected with Amber agreeing to her. What she said was not wrong, his olive skin and dark hair seemed soft to the touch.

She wanted to continue and stare at him when she heard footsteps right outside the door. With swift footsteps, she stood up and dashed to the door. She carefully opened it to see Zael with his hand raised to knock. The man looked at the Alpha with wide eyes he then faked a cough and brought down his hand to his side.

"Alpha," he spoke but before he could continue, Amber's hand was already covering his mouth while the other was gesturing for him to keep quiet.

His forehead furrowed at the Alpha's action so Amber looked back and pointed to the couch where Zael could see someone sitting. "He is sleeping. I don't want to disturb him so let's talk in your office."

Amber removed her hand and pulled the frozen man who was looking at her weirdly. The door to Zael's office closed, "What do you need to tell me?" Amber asked after making herself at home inside the office.

She did not hear any answer from the man so with no other choice, she looked at him with raised eyebrows. She then crossed both of her arms in front of her as she waited for the Beta to gather himself from whatever shock he was in.

"I'm surprised by the improvement of your relationship. I'm glad that the both of you are now amiable to the point that he could sleep inside your office without problems but if other people would do that, they would get scolded instead," the teasing tone in his voice could not be hidden as there was also a silly grin on his face. He then wiggled his eyebrows while looking at their Alpha.

"That's because he is special. Perks of him being my mate. Ah it really feels great to have a mate." She smirked which made the Beta annoyed. "Enough of that, let's proceed to business."

He had been stabbed due to the fact he had not meet his mate yet but he then brushed it off because of the report he got. "Alpha Gidou already sent us the names of the pack members that will be staying here. There is a total of twenty-five children and twenty-five adolescents together with five adults that will accompany them, totaling into fifty-five wolves."

"Okay. How's the clean-up of the place where they will be staying?" she could hear Zael flipping through the paper he was holding before answering.

"It's nearly done, by tomorrow the place will be ready." He closed the file and place it on his table.

"Good, I'll come by later to check on it." She then stood up and patted Zael's shoulder with a grin. She did not like any other people knowing of what happened so she needed to make sure that Zael will remain silent about it.

Zael nodded, "Okay, okay, I understand my mouth is zipped regarding the fact that your mate was sleeping inside your office peacefully."

She returned to her office and saw that Xander was already awake. It was a bit disappointing because she was not able to continue watching him sleep.

Sigh. It was the only thing she could do, sigh in silence and give him a smile. 'Don't worry we have more time to watch him sleep!' Eirian spoke with confidence so Amber could just agree. Watching him sleep sounded creepy but it might become a habit of hers in the future.

He woke up only to notice that he was alone in the room. He felt awkward so he stood up and folded the blanket on the couch and was about to leave when the door opened. He saw Amber and apologized to her since it was rude for him to sleep in her office. "I'm sorry I fell asleep," he muttered after Amber reentered the room.

She shook her head, "It's okay, you don't have to apologize. You are still recovering so it is understandable."

"I'll leave you then since you have work to do. I will also return the tray in the kitchen." Xander picked up the tray and started to walk towards the door.

"Thank you for accompanying me," she smiled and Xander nodded before he left.