Epilogue

Y/n's POV:

~Three Years Later~

I ran. I raced across the open prairie dividing Erik and me.

Our very own cart and horse, not Nadir's, conveyed him to my side, and we met in the middle.
Stepping up into the cart, I kissed his cheek and climbed up beside him. Flicking the horse's reins, he drove us the rest of the way to the cabin, now expanded with a number of added rooms. Behind us, a small herd of cows followed diligently behind.

Every time we added to our pasture, I always remembered my beloved Rosie, Poppy, Clover, Petunia, and Tulip. All except Tulip led healthy, long lives, but being the origin of our herd, I was always sentimental about them.

 "How was the trip to town?" I asked, slipping my hand into Erik's.

 "Exceptional. Look at all those cows, but it's good to be home."

Taking in the structures encompassing our home, he smiled.

This homesteading life had proved challenging. Privations like harsh winters, searing summers, and back-breaking work never failed. Yet family and, even better, love stood the test of it all.

When Erik and I stepped out of the cart, bobbing pigtails and bright smiles greeted us.

 "You're home! You're home!" Rhapsody cheered, clapping her hands.

She pranced around the porch, pulling her twin sister into her dance.

 "We have more moo-moos." Harmony observed, pointing to the cows grazing nearby.

Erik scooped Harmony into his arms, earning a giggle from the girl. Tenderly, he smoothed down her hair and kissed the bridge of her misshapen nose.

Unshed tears filled my eyes. Only three years ago, I'd feared a bond like this would never form between them.

 "We do have more moo-moos, Harmony," Erik said, "do you want to help get them settled into the herd?"

 "Yes!"

 "Let's get a meal in both of you first. Mama's orders." I said, propping my hands on my hips in mock sternness.

Laughing, everybody poured into the cabin, where a pot of aromatic stew simmered on the hearth. The place was cozy and cluttered with cooking essentials and other housekeeping implements. The dining table and hearth were the heart of our home. Even then, I could never forget our nights around Erik's hand-constructed piano, where he played beautiful melodies and tolerated my out-of-tune, pitchy voice. Maybe the table and fireplace were the heart, but Erik's piano was definitely the soul.

Before checking on supper, I turned to the cradle and lifted out Lilly-Belle.

 "Someone's missed you." I said, passing the seven-month-old to her father.

 "And I've missed her."

Erik sat down, positioning Lilly-Belle in his lap, while Harmony and Rhapsody gathered at his feet to hear of stories from town. From my position, I watched my family, smiling upon Harmony and Rhapsody and sweet little Lilly-Belle.

And I looked upon Erik, my husband. A new realization dawned gradually, but as it did, a sunny glow swelled in my heart. We were always meant to be, the two of us, destined in the stars from the very beginning.

Briefly, he caught my eye. A smile spread over our faces in the silence which spoke a thousand words.

We, at long last, had uncovered the things we'd craved all our lives: home, family, and love.