Prologue

Y/n's POV:

"Erik! We need to get out of here!" I cried, clinging to his hand.

"Follow me."

Erik tightened his grip on me, as he pushed us through a hidden passage, where blackness abounded. We had just left the main area of his lair forever, and already, the mob had infiltrated it. We just barely escaped.

A pile of sheet music, right beside the pipe organ, lit ablaze and raged behind us. I'd been the one to light that match, to cause ravenous flames to lick against the walls of mine and Erik's escape route. I'd thought it would throw them off our trail, but now, we were narrowly evading fire.

Heat singed my neck. I jumped forward, a pained gasp escaping my lips. Erik pulled me into his chest, protecting me. The mob still shouted behind us, but I dared to glance behind Erik's shoulder, back to the beginning of the passage.

A girl, half-hidden by flames, stood there. In our brief eye contact, she tilted her head to the side in confusion. It was Meg Giry. It had to be. She turned away, her blonde curls whipping her face. I wished for her to return, but I never saw her again.

Goodbye, Meg. Yet I couldn't say the painful words aloud, not when they stuck to my throat.

Unshed tears burning my eyes, I focused on Erik once again. His amber glare was fixed on the exit of the tunnel. I glanced at the tunnel's entrance again, perhaps hoping for another sight of Meg. Dancing flames amidst a collapsing passage stood in her place.