Chapter 8: News

Gordon stood up abruptly from the flower bed and accidentally dropped the cigarette he had just lit on the ground.

"So you're saying that during the two hours the security guard was unconscious, Phantom Thief Kid disguised himself as him inside the museum, and even his colleagues who had known him for a long time didn't recognize him?"

Gordon asked with a serious expression.

Indeed, if Phantom Thief Kid had this ability, it would explain why they couldn't find any trace of him.

It wasn't that the surveillance cameras didn't capture Phantom Thief Kid, but they couldn't determine which person in the footage was Phantom Thief Kid.

Harvey glanced regretfully at the dropped cigarette on the ground before turning back and saying, "Jim, do you remember those four officers who were in charge of guarding the ruby before? They said you personally instructed them to change their positions."

When Gordon heard Harvey mention this, he immediately understood.

"They weren't lying, but what they saw wasn't me, it was Phantom Thief Kid disguised as me!"

"Based on the information we have so far, that's the only conclusion we can draw."

Harvey summarized.

"Ordinary disguise techniques probably wouldn't achieve this effect."

Gordon pondered for a moment and said, "This reminds me of that guy at Arkham."

"Clayface. Do you think Phantom Thief Kid might be related to him?"

Harvey's expression also became serious. Anyone who could be connected to that group of lunatics was not easy to deal with.

"It's hard to say for now. I'll pay a visit to Arkham Asylum and have a talk with Clayface,"

Gordon decided on his schedule for the next day.

"There shouldn't be much left to find in the museum. Let's wrap up."

With that, the two of them gathered their subordinates and left the museum.

...

The next day, a news article caused a sensation among all the citizens of Gotham City.

"Shocking! GCPD and Robin Teamed Up but Were Lost by a Mysterious Thief?"

This article occupied the entire front page of the Gotham Gazette, reporting in detail Phantom Thief Kid's process of committing the crime yesterday.

A large close-up photo was also published in the newspaper of Phantom Thief Kid's debut in the exhibition hall under the light of spotlights.

That white suit, elegant demeanor, slender figure, and the monocle full of mysterious reflections...

It reveals a kind of strange charm that people can't see the face clearly, but it makes people think that Phantom Kid must be handsome.

"Who took this photo? They're quite skilled. They captured at least one-tenth of my charm."

In the fourth-grade classroom at Gotham Academy, sitting in the second-to-last row near the window, Dean read the newspaper he had just bought, shamelessly thinking to himself.

Dean looked at the name of the reporter who wrote this article, a woman named Vicki Vale.

"Vicki Vale, she's quite famous in Gotham. It is said that she has an affair with billionaire Bruce Wayne?"

Dean's eyes lit up with an idea.

"I was thinking of a way to return the ruby, maybe this is a good choice..."