Chapter 20: Exposed

"Why do we fall, Sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."

- Alfred Pennyworth

...

"You are still the same as before, Alfred. Is Bruce here too?"

Vicki looked at Alfred with a look as if she had just met an old friend after many years.

"No, Master Bruce has some important matters to attend to, so he couldn't make it."

Alfred shook his head slightly.

"This child..."

She muttered under his breath.

Vicki turned her gaze towards Dick, looking at the young man who was now taller than her and asked in disbelief.

"You must be Richard Grayson, right? It's been so long, the last time we met was three years ago, or was it four?"

"It's been nearly six years, Ms. Vale."

Dick smiled.

"It really is you! I can't believe it's been that long,"

Vicki reminisced.

Many years ago, Vicki had a romantic relationship with Bruce Wayne. It wasn't just a casual fling but a serious relationship.

In fact, on the day Richard Grayson lost his parents, Bruce was with Vicki at the circus, and she saw the whole process of Bruce adopting Richard.

At first, things went well between Vicki and Bruce, but their relationship didn't last long, like most of Bruce's romances.

However, even though their romantic relationship ended, Bruce and Vicki still go on dates every now and then...

"Have you had dinner, Ms. Vale?"

Alfred looked at Vicki, who was alone and asked, "What I mean is, if you don't mind, would you like to join with us?"

"Thank you for your kind offer, Alfred. I'd love to catch up with you both, but I've already had dinner. I came to the restaurant to find William Ethan."

Vicki politely declined Alfred's invitation.

"William Ethan? The head of Ethan International Shipping Company? I heard that the 'Pink Fantasy' diamond at the auction belongs to him."

Dick asked curiously.

"Yes, that's him. I have a lot of questions I want to ask him in person."

Vicki confirmed.

"What kind of questions? Is it related to Phantom Thief? Or is it related to the rumor of Penguin?"

Dick continued to ask.

Vicki scrutinized Dick from head to toe and smiled as she politely refused, "As expected of a child raised by Bruce, you're almost as curious as him. But, I have to tell you the same thing I told him, these are confidential business questions for reporters, and I can't share any details with you."

"Well, I hope I didn't make things difficult for you,"

Dick said it disappointedly.

"Alright, guys, I have to go now. The auction starts in half an hour, and I'm not sure if I can find Mr. Ethan before it begins."

Vicki glanced at her watch and said this before hurriedly leaving.

"Good luck, Ms Vale."

Alfred and Dick encouraged her as she left.