30. Family obligation

Olivia

Logan's question did take me by surprise. I hadn't expected him to ask me about Liam. I mean, it's not like Liam and I are all friends or something. I was checking the library for a new collection to read when he came in and shared his sentiments about the genre of book he preferred to read. Liam and I have never spoken more than two sentences. But surprisingly, he was all in the mood and wanted to demonstrate how a character in a book he was currently reading handled a plant in his garden. I didn't want to brush him off and tell him he didn't have to go to that extra mile.

I didn't know that small conversation with Liam would strike Logan a bit—or should I say, stress him out? That somehow settled well with me. The reflection from the curtain blinders reminded me of the day I was going to look forward to. An appointment with my doctor, taking care of the clinic alone. Larisa had called in last night that she had an emergency trip from her college. So she won't be able to show up. That means I have to do everything myself for the whole day today.

And for some reason, my mood was completely all over the place. I swiped through my phone and replied to the text Jamie had left me last night about us meeting up for dinner later today. I spread the curtains, allowing darkness to loom over the room before making my way out. The hallway was calloused with silence and thick air dancing around it. I had to remind myself to take in a deep breath before approaching the dining area that was on full swing with the family members. By family members, I mean the whole Nero family in general, including the grandchildren who I was actually seeing for the first time. I muffled out a low greeting, not paying attention to whoever was in the mood to answer me. I instantly dived into my breakfast.

I don't know whether it was because I was getting used to the silence around the family during eating hours. Today felt different. I don't mind everyone minding their business. That will save me from answering some of the questions they might try to throw at me, right?

Nevertheless, that was soon disrupted by one of the girls. "Mommy, are you coming for the speech today?" came her tiny voice. I took my time to assess the girl. There was no denying she had Amelia's eyes—if not her face completely. I didn't have to be told whose daughter she was.

"Is it today, Quinn?" Amelia asked, glancing at her phone. "I thought it was supposed to be next week. I have a full schedule. Your father should be able to make it."

"I can't make it either. I'm meeting with clients from Greece," Scott added.

I noticed how Quinn's face fell. Is it that they are too busy with their work that they have no time for their own daughter? I expected at least some explanation from any of the family members, maybe to cheer the girl up a bit. But none spoke a word, including Logan, who hasn't lifted his face from his phone, talk less of even sparing me a glance. The gesture made me question how my child will be brought up in an environment where none care about parental rights but their own career aspects. I dropped my fork, grabbed my bag, and headed to the door. It seems I would be witnessing a new side of the family day by day, and that will definitely question the decision I had taken up to this moment in time.

Just as I stepped down the pavement, Liam's figure emerged beside me. "You must be heading for work?" he said, straightening up his tie. I didn't try to stop myself from checking him out. He was as tall as Logan but slimmer than him.

I forced out a smile, not wanting him to have the impression that our conversation last night would bring any change between us—friends, to be precise. It's better if we continue minding our business around each other. "Yes," I said, adjusting the strap of my bag around my shoulder as I stepped forward. I had thought he'd take that short gesture and walk away, but instead, he went on again. This time, he added a mischievous smile to his face. "Let me drop you off then."