2: Dreams and Nightmares

Dreams are often nightmares because it only takes one instance for our beautiful cathedrals of dreams to crash into hundreds of pieces of nightmares.

Elizabeth

The two men bring me to a room after three flights of stairs. The room is at the very end of the hall. He opens the door and stands to face me in the doorway. He takes the key to uncuff me. When they fall to his hands, I rub my wrists back and forth.

"This is your room," he tries to explain. It's not that I don't understand him, it's that I can only speak in Spanish. Will that help me or hurt me in this situation?

When I turn around to look, he closes the door and before I know it, he's locked me in the room.

I begin to panic. I hate it when rooms are locked. I hate that I'm the one who has been locked in my room. I hate that I'm the victim.

I pace around and put my hand to my chest. It's ok. It's ok. Master isn't here. He can't hurt me.

He can't hurt me.

...

The room is covered in cream colors and decorated with wooden pallets. The ceiling is a vaulted ceiling and the window is a triangle that almost meets the floor. Leaning against the window is a couch with what feels like hundreds of pillows. To the left of the couch is a green tree.

The bed is to my right, leaning against the right wall. It's a king bed with cream sheets and little accented pillows for decoration. In front of the bed is a coffee table with two chairs and a couch.

This was as big as our house...not just one room.

Behind the second couch is a bookshelf filled with books and a little desk near the door to the bathroom. The bathroom has a shower and tub. It's everything a girl could dream of.

But is this a dream or is this a nightmare?

Dreams are often nightmares because it only takes one instance for our beautiful cathedrals of dreams to crash into hundreds of pieces of nightmares.

My stomach growls. I don't remember the last time I've eaten. It's felt like forever.

The nicer man has brought Diablo, my perrito. His name's Diablo because though I've been put through hell, he's fought it off for me.

Not only does he bring my dog, but he brings a tray of food and a bottle of water. I smile. "Gracias," I say. He nods but doesn't break character. Never once does he smile or even look at me.

Wow...ok.

I set the food down on the desk and look at it. It smells amazing. It's chicken, rice, and vegetables.

I don't know where to start. It all looks so good. After not being fed for so long, everything looks and sounds good.

I begin to eat and when I start, I can't stop eating.

Romeo

Casso and Santino sit in the office with me. They both stare at me. I hate when people stare at me. it's like they are too scared to tell me what they are actually thinking. "So where is she then?"