27: I Do

The wedding

One year later

I'm getting married tonight.

They say it's bad luck for the groom to see his bride the morning of the wedding, but we couldn't even sleep alone last night.

So, as the house continues to sleep, Romeo and I sit outside together. We cuddle up in blankets and hide from the world for just a little longer.

I sit outside on the balcony with Romeo this morning. He's brought coffee out for both of us. When he sits down, he lifts my legs so that they are lying across his lap. "I'll be Mrs. Bianchi tonight," I giggle. He chuckles as he looks out to the horizon. I cuddle up in the blanket as we sip our coffee in silence.

"Little Nicky wouldn't stop talking when I put him to bed last night," Romeo mumbles. We can hear each other perfectly even when whispering, so we whisper to communicate. "He's excited to see us get married."

"He's not the only one, Romeo." He kisses the back of my neck where he always kisses me.

"If it were up to me, I'd take you to court to sign papers and call it a day."

"I've still got my whole life to experience. I'm not doing that," I laugh.

"I know, baby. I know. I'm just teasing," he chuckles. I lean my head on his shoulder as we watch the sunrise. It peaks out perfectly for our morning. "I can't wait to see you in that dress."

"Well," I chuckle. "You'll have to wait just a little while longer."

"Fuck you and fuck you." We both turn as the balcony door slides open. Alina walks over to us and scowls at her son. When she sees me, she smiles warmly before going back to her profanities. "Both of you will have bad luck for this," she scoffs.

"I don't do superstitions, Mami," he tries.

"I don't want to hear it from you, mijo. Now, Eliza. We've got appointments lined up this morning to get you ready for your own fucking wedding. Let's go! Get up!" She pulls me up. I steal another kiss from Romeo. She gives him the middle finger. "Fuck you," she says.

"Aye, Mami. The harsh words," he reprimands. I giggle as she walks me inside. I watch Romeo wink at me before the door closes and she rushes me into the kitchen.

"Eat this. You need food to keep going. Nails will be this morning. I'm doing your hair and makeup. And where is the photographer? Oh shit, did I put in the right date?" She leaves to find her phone.

Dominic runs into the room for breakfast. I stop eating to care for my son. I fix him a plate and he immediately starts to eat. "Can I help?" He asks. "Daddy said I can help you."

"You're going to actually help him," I say. "You get to spend the whole day with him and your grandpa," I say.

"Really?!" He says in such excitement. I nod and laugh at his enthusiasm.

"Good morning, Elizabeth. I take it you slept well," Elijah says as he fixes himself a coffee.

"I did," I trail off. He leans against the counter as he sips his coffee.

"You don't sound too sure of that."

"I am," I reassure. "I have," I pause. "I have a personal question for you," I start. He tilts his head to the side.

"Ok. Is everything alright?" I nod. I turn to face him and give him my full attention. I smile and nod.

"Nothing could be better," I smile. "Well, actually, one thing could make it better. Will you give me away?" He pauses and looks at his cup of coffee like it's the thing that's going to give him the answer.

"You want me to give you away?"

"Alina explained that's traditionally the father's role to give their daughter's hand in marriage. Since my—since I don't have a father, I was wondering if you could because you are Romeo's father and you've become—my father." He smiles and laughs for a minute.

"Of course, I'll do it," he says. He hugs me. Just as he's hugged me so many other times, I feel like I'm being kept safe in a father's embrace. "I love you, mija."

...

The majority of the day is filled with pampering. Alina gets her nails done with me. I have no bridesmaids because frankly, I don't even have friends that are girls, so Alina acts as my bridesmaid, but in reality, she's my mother.

We have the suit of one of Romeo's hotels to get ready in. Romeo gets ready in a completely different location that's halfway from the wedding venue. "Elijah will be here in two hours to take us to the reception. Everything is set. I have your vows here," she says as she sets them on the vanity mirror. "Your dress is hanging up and your tiara," she says. She pauses and wipes a tear. "I love you, Elizabeth." We take a minute to hold each other as she cries.

She curls my hair and puts a few flowers in my hair as decoration. We don't do much makeup. Even living with her, I wasn't exposed to makeup much, so why start with the makeup?

Soon, it's time to put on the dress. The dress is a beautiful white mermaid dress with a veil that's kept intact with the tiara. It's got flower patterns that flow everywhere on the dress.

There's a knock on the door. We know it's Elijah. Elijah has Dominic by his side. I immediately kneel to Dominic. "You look so handsome!" I say as I help with his little bowtie.

"You look like a princess," he giggles and wraps his arms around my neck. "I love you," he giggles.

"I love you more," I whisper as I kiss his forehead.

"Ew!" He giggles. "Stop it, mama!"

Once I've set him down, I stand up. Elijah goes to hug me. "Thank you, Elizabeth," he says. "Thank you for finding him."

"He found me first."

"But you found his heart."

-Everest-